Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to apply for citizenship

Hi,

On June 2nd, 2007 it will be 3 years since I have my green card which I got through my wife (she is a US citizen)

When can I apply for US citizenship?
    How long does it take to the the citizenship after i apply (I live in NY City)
    Should I fill the forms myself or hire an attorney.

Please suggest.

Thanks
    Ram

3 yrs - 3 months ....

...so, next month in march, ~7-15 march. To be safe, just send it a week later.

Comment

oh..answers to your other questions...

2. ) It's subjective...it takes some as early as 4 months to infinity.
      3.) no need for a lawyer, you can easily do it yourself. Immihelp's info page on citizenship: http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship
      should tell you exactly what to do.

Comment

Thank you for your answers. Is there an average time frame on how long the whole process takes

Thanks
        RAm

Comment

Yes...

...appears to be the average is ~6 months from filing to oath. It highly depends on the service center, and if they offer same day oath after interview. I would recommend tapping some of the NY folks and referring to their timeframe.
          Taking me 6+ here in CA..hopefully should be done soon. It all depends how fast your name check/background check is done and interview is scheduled. For some folks, it's scheduled within a month after FP ...in my case, took 3 months after FP for interview.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X