Adaption after citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adaption after citizenship

Can I adopt my 13 years old grand daughter who is back home (in India) after i become citizen? what is the procedure? Pls reply as quick as possible....this will really help.

thanks in advance

Tricky

Adoption is very tricky. You need to approach the right organizations for this procedure. Yes, sure you need to be an US citizen before you take any such steps. You need to be settled down here with ample income and proper place to live.

You need to show why you're adopting someone, for example the child doesn't have any parents etc.

Check out websites/organizations like:
    http://www.afth.org/
    http://www.childrenatheart.com/faq.html

The procedure is long, complicated and expensive too.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the age limit is 16 years before which you have to complete the process.

Also, you need to be the guardian of the child in India. There is no adoption in India, the courts allow you to become the guardian.

Then there will be requirements like long essays from you and your spouse etc.

DO keep full expense details of everything, as you will be able to get deductions on your income tax returns. This includes your phone calls, money sent to the child, air tickets for you to visit India and for the child etc.

The final adoption procedure is accomplished when the child is in the United States.

Good luck.

Comment

So can I be a legal gurdian of my grand daughter from here....Just send money and all? Actually i am writing on behal of my father here...he wants to adopt this child because he has no one with hime and his wife is disable..

Comment

fortgot to mention.....thanks a lot for your reply!

Comment

Yes, but not easy

Yes, you can, but in India it's not an easy process. You do need a good lawyer who'll do the running around for you.

You're very welcome. Hope it all works out for you and your family.

I'm glad there are good people like you who'll make a whole world of a difference for a child.

Keep on doing the good work.

Best regards.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X