Oath ceremony date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oath ceremony date?

I have my interview very soon. Do they tell you on the interview day when is the oath ceremony? Do they send a follow up letter that says the oath ceremony date?
    I know it should take between 1 day to 180 days, but do they assign you a date on the interview day?
    Do they give you any documents at the end of the interview? What are they?
    Also can I travel after the interview overseas? Since I have my greencard as a stamp on my passport.

Thanks a bunch.

They will not tell exact oath date on the interview day. But will tell approximate time when your oath will be. In my cast it took 1 motnh 7 days from the day of interview in CSC. You can travel overseas after your oath.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.............
      Are you saying that i cannot travel after my interview? i do have my green card as a stamp on my passport though.
      My interview is on Sept 27, so anyone may guess when will be the oath date? cause i heard they do them on special country holidays.
      Thank you all.
      Tafi

Comment

Travel after oath

You are a US Citizen immediately after the oath and you can travel as a typical US Citizen. Passport is required for almost all the travel. Recently rules have changed that require a US passport for (air) travel even to Canada, Mexico (which was not required earlier). Now, to travel to a country which requires visa (like India), you need to have a US passport and a visa as well even if were a citizen of that country.

After the oath ceremony, you will get the naturalization certificate which you can use to apply for a US passport. Some locations, after the oath ceremony, will also provide you with passport application form. Alternatively, the application also be downloaded or obtained from many post offices. With an expedited application (paying more $) one can get a passport within a 4 weeks (I believe you can get it in about 15 days, but don't hold me to it). Regularly it is about 6 weeks or longer. If you can demonstrate an urgent need, you can get a passport on the same day, but you have to travel to a regional passport office, after getting an appointment. After you get your passport, you go about obtaining the visas.

So, getting your travel document (passport) is pretty much the first step one needs to take after the naturalization.

Comment

Travel after oath

BTW, the I551 stamp in your passport and the passport itself are worthless for travel. You cannot use them as a US Citizen. But do retain the passport as it may be required later... If you are an Indian, if you need to apply for OCI or PIO, then this proof is required.

Comment

Travel after oath _ Apologize for confusion.

My apologies - I mixed up the interview date with the oath ceremony date. I realized that these are two different events in many locations, unlike in Atlanta where one can opt to have both on the same day.

Yes, you can travel as usual with your passport and I551 stamp and visa rules for your Country will apply.

Just curious, how come you do not have the card (green card) and you have been making do for such a long time? 3 years at least?

Comment

Yes i have it as a stamp on my passport for years now. The first year i was waiting for it because they told me it is still in procession center. Second year i applied for my citizenship, so when i talked to an officer , he told me that they've shipped my file somewhere else due to my citizenship procession. So he has asked me if i want my physical green card or if i wait to my citizenship interview and so i do not need it it anymore.
              Every time i ask they say your name pending security check.
              Now i have my interview on Sept 27.
              Thanks for the replies all.
              Tafi

Comment

the stamp is valid for ayear only so you will need a new stamp or a card

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X