Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your valuable advice...

Hello Immi Experts...

I need your valuable advice on the following..

1.I am planning to leave US for good in few months...Should I apply for citizenship before i leave US (point 2 is my status)

2.I have been married to a US citizen on aug 2004 and divorced on jan 2008;am I eligible for 3 year citizenship application (I have recieved my temporary green card on 05/2005)

3. if I am eligible for 3 years application; how soon will my process be completed?

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Originally posted by indianguyz
    Hello Immi Experts...

I need your valuable advice on the following..

1.I am planning to leave US for good in few months...Should I apply for citizenship before i leave US (point 2 is my status)

2.I have been married to a US citizen on aug 2004 and divorced on jan 2008;am I eligible for 3 year citizenship application (I have recieved my temporary green card on 05/2005)

3. if I am eligible for 3 years application; how soon will my process be completed?

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    You are already in deep trouble. To meet application eligibility requirements you either need 30 months of continous stay in the U.S. after you get your Green card and if you happen to break this stay then the 5 year rule applies.

Are you still on your conditional status? If yes, go seek a lawyer ASAP. Shouldn't have divorced because your entire eligibility for permanent adjustment of status is based on your marriage with your wife, a U.S. citizen who had applied for you. Even if you did receive your permanent card and you apply for citizenship now, at the time of your naturalization interview you will questioned and required to provide a legitimate reason for the divorce. How will they find out you may ask, well, "part 8" of form N-400 requires in detail information about your marital status. Statements such as "couldn't get along" or "conflicting situations while being married" will not suffice.

As for the total time it would take for processing an application for citizenship the answer is, it varies based on individual cases. Under normal circumstances, it would roughly take anywhere from 10 to 14 months to be naturalized after filing the application. Again, since every case is different the time frame given is only estimated.

At this point don't even think of travel and if you have made up your mind to leave the U.S. for good as you have stated then why do you need U.S. citizenship? If you are planning to come back in the future and want to leave all your options open then staying here and hiring a good attorney is the only choice you have at this point. Almost every immigration attorney out there will remind you of your mistake and advise you to patch up. Sounds stupid doesn't it, but that's the only door that's open for you. There is another, go back and forget the U.S. for good. Option 2 is not a wise choice but that's for you to decide.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ASM; 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASM
      You are already in deep trouble. To meet application eligibility requirements you either need 30 months of continous stay in the U.S. after you get your Green card and if you happen to break this stay then the 5 year rule applies.

Are you still on your conditional status? If yes, go seek a lawyer ASAP. Shouldn't have divorced because your entire eligibility for permanent adjustment of status is based on your marriage with your wife, a U.S. citizen who had applied for you. Even if you did receive your permanent card and you apply for citizenship now, at the time of your naturalization interview you will questioned and required to provide a legitimate reason for the divorce. How will they find out you may ask, well, "part 8" of form N-400 requires in detail information about your marital status. Statements such as "couldn't get along" or "conflicting situations while being married" will not suffice.

As for the total time it would take for processing an application for citizenship the answer is, it varies based on individual cases. Under normal circumstances, it would roughly take anywhere from 10 to 14 months to be naturalized after filing the application. Again, since every case is different the time frame given is only estimated.

At this point don't even think of travel and if you have made up your mind to leave the U.S. for good as you have stated then why do you need U.S. citizenship? If you are planning to come back in the future and want to leave all your options open then staying here and hiring a good attorney is the only choice you have at this point. Almost every immigration attorney out there will remind you of your mistake and advise you to patch up. Sounds stupid doesn't it, but that's the only door that's open for you. There is another, go back and forget the U.S. for good. Option 2 is not a wise choice but that's for you to decide.

Good luck.
      Thank you for the info.
      So, If I am right, my only options is....
      Go for 5 year eligibility and forget about 3 year eligibility.

I just recieved my permanent GC.
      I think I was in London recently for few days ; so my 30 month requirement is already messed up.

I was just curious. I did not have an idea to go for citizenship but some of my friends adviced me to get it and leave; so, i was exploring my options if any.

Comment

If you plan to leave for good, what is the point of getting citizenship? you may have to give up whatever your current citizenship is.
        Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X