Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we get a "signed agreement from the IRS"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we get a "signed agreement from the IRS"?

Wife passed the USCIS interview for citizenship with flying colors, but they didn't like the fact that we owe taxes. We've always filed on time and we have an installment agreement, with the account in good standing and automatic monthly payments coming out of our checking account. We presented everything we have from the IRS, showing current balance, payment history, transcripts, tax returns, all printed from the IRS website and TurboTax. But the officer insisted on "A signed agreement from the IRS, state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and have arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and documentation from the IRS, state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.. Documentation showing original balance owed, payments made and current balanced owed." We called the IRS and were told there's no such thing as a signed agreement, and that the information we provided should've been enough. We were given 30 days to get this "additional information". Google results only point me to pages were it says I need to get the signed agreement. IRS says no such thing exists, USCIS says it does. What now? Called the local IRS help office and the earliest appointment is 60 days from now. Don't know what to do next... We're now dealing with this one-time request for more information and we only have one shot at submitting what they want to see. Don't know what to present. The IRS does send a yearly letter showing the payment progress and current balance, but the IRS told us that's sent out automatically by their computers and can't be mailed or faxed to anyone on demand. We did everything right, never missed a payment or a filing and we fear she'll be denied citizenship for not submitting something we don't even know how to get...

Sorry to hear that you are one of the people pushed into a catch-22 between USCIS and IRS

Read my comments on this other thread for some ideas on paperwork that might help.
    However, in your case, payment plans are not covered by my recommendations.

Comment

Thank you. The good news is that we got desperate for no reason. It looks like they did accept everything we turned in (account balance and proof of payment history printed directly from the irs website, plus tax transcripts). What happened is that on the day of the interview she had not presented everything we could present during the interview. We only presented the irs-related paperwork later that day. When the officer who interviewed her asked us for additional info we ran home, printed anything and everything we could from the irs website, traveled back to the uscis office that same day and gave it directly to the same officer who had interviewed her, before they closed! When we received an email the next day asking exactly for the same thing, we thought what we had dropped off was not enough. I think the officer generated the rfe (request for additional info) after the interview, not knowing we'd return that same day (most people mail additional info to the uscis office). We got desperate when in fact we had already satisfied their request. She received additional emails stating the n400 was approved and her ceremony has been scheduled!

Not for anyone out there who has an installment agreement: Keep *all* letters that arrive from the IRS, showing your account balance, yearly statement and payment history.

Comment

What documents did you guys submit ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X