Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eligibility for Naturalization. Please read for more details.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligibility for Naturalization. Please read for more details.

I and my wife married in 2008.

We moved to the USA in 2011 with valid green cards. Soon we had to return to India due to some personal reasons. I managed to get a reentry permit but my wife lost her green card. I returned to US with the reentry permit in 2014 and after spending 4 years and 1 day, I applied for naturalization. I naturalized as a US citizen in 2019. In 2014, I sponsored my wife to come back to the US. She got her "new" green card in May 2016 and moved to the US in June 2016 and has been living here ever since. Her current stay in the US is > 3 years..

Now that I have naturalized as a US citizen, how long does she have to wait in order to naturalize as a US citizen. Remember that we were married long before I got the green card and that she has been living in the US for more than 3 years.

Thanks in advance. I hope this question and your answers would be useful to several other couples sailing in the same boat as me and my wife.

She qualifies for naturalization under the 5-year rule 5 years after she got her green card.

She qualifies for naturalization under the 3-year rule 3 years after she got her green card, or 3 years after she married you, or 3 years after you became a US citizen, whichever is latest. (In this case, it is 3 years after you became a US citizen.)

Based on the information you gave, it seems that she will qualify under the 5-year rule sooner.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X