Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N400 in process. Need i551 stamp

Hello,

I applied for my citizenship in Jan 2020 and had my biometrics taken in Feb 2020. What are my chances of getting an I551 stamp on my passport for employment or travel?

I saw that USCIS no longer allows Infopass appointments online. I saw some threads stating that I can just walk in without an appointment and get this I551 stamp. Any truth to this?

Also I should mention that my GC was expired when I filed my N400.

USCIS recommends applying for a new green card if your current card is expired or will expire in the next 6 months. ... If you apply for citizenship when your green card is going to expire in less than six months, you may need to apply to renewyour green card while you are waiting to be approved for citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by WReyes25 View Post
      Hello,

I applied for my citizenship in Jan 2020 and had my biometrics taken in Feb 2020. What are my chances of getting an I551 stamp on my passport for employment or travel?

I saw that USCIS no longer allows Infopass appointments online. I saw some threads stating that I can just walk in without an appointment and get this I551 stamp. Any truth to this?

Also I should mention that my GC was expired when I filed my N400.
      I am not sure but it seems you need to have GC as a requirement for apply N-400

"Are you eligible to apply for naturalization? Before you apply for naturalization, you must meet a few requirements. Depending on your situation, there are different requirements that may apply to you. However, generally, an applicant for naturalization must: • Be 18 years old or older at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. • Be a lawful permanent resident (have a “green card”). • Demonstrate continuous permanent residence in the United States for at least......."
      These tips can help you find what you are looking for: Check the URL (web address) for proper spelling and completeness; Use our

Comment

Originally posted by Skyjacker View Post
        USCIS recommends applying for a new green card if your current card is expired or will expire in the next 6 months. ... If you apply for citizenship when your green card is going to expire in less than six months, you may need to apply to renewyour green card while you are waiting to be approved for citizenship.
        Thank you for responding but I am aware of this and i personally prefer not to pay the cost of renewing a GC if I already filed an N400.

My main question is How strict isthe Chicago office on issuing an I551 stamp on my passport so I can either travel or apply for jobs while my N400 is in process.

Comment

From what I know, you must have a valid green card for the interview, if your green card is expired I don't think you will able to get I551 stamp.

Comment

I think if you have not a valid GC or any other valid permanent resident permission , then your N400 maybe denied. Better to talk with a expert or immigrant attorney ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyjacker View Post
              From what I know, you must have a valid green card for the interview, if your green card is expired I don't think you will able to get I551 stamp.
              If I had a valid GC, I wouldn't need the stamp.

Comment

@WReyes25
                You want to save the cost of renewing a GC, but if your N400 case be denied cause of missing valid GC then you must pay for N400 again + cost of renewing GC + waiting again for N400 process !
                It is better you research about N400 requirement and be sure about affect of expired GC on N400 process.

Use this form to replace your Permanent Resident Card (also known as your Green Card).

If you need evidence of your lawful permanent resident status while waiting to receive a replacement Green Card, we may issue you an Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications (ADIT) stamp after you file this form. Additionally, if you applied for naturalization at least six months before your Green Card expired, you may be able to receive an ADIT stamp instead of filing a Form I-90. If you need assistance, contact the USCIS Contact Center.

As a lawful permanent resident, you must have a valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card or equivalent document with you at all times. Applying for naturalization does not change this requirement.

Last edited by ronmony; 03-12-2020, 03:01 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X