Sponsored parent filing for Naturalization but never filed taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsored parent filing for Naturalization but never filed taxes

Hi, so I sponsored my mom many years ago, she got her green card and 5 years later she is now filing her N-400 form and in it they ask if she never filed taxes, she never had any income or even a bank account, I could've claimed her as dependent in my tax return but I was worried this might complicate things for her, which I learned later that it wouldn't but at that point we kept things going as they were and I never claimed her and she never filed taxes since she have no income, she lived with me for a while and when she didn't I just took care of her expenses, now would that cause any issues with her Naturalization process saying that she never filed taxes ? or do I need to hire an accountant to do taxes for her for all the past years ? she know other people that never filed taxes and their naturalization went fine and now they are US citizens but i'm not sure if those are special cases or is it normal.

Note getting any tax return or stimulus checks is not really the concern, I just want to make sure that nothing goes wrong with her naturalization.

Thanks,

You must tell nothing but truth, right? If she had no income and you pay all of her cost then you should add her in your tax file as a depended until she get any job and income.

Comment

Legally if she didn’t have any income, she didn’t have to file taxes. There is a threshold income for every year that requires filing taxes. If you think her English is good enough to explain, she can just do that or have her memorize the answer and from IRS try to print that income threshold for the past 5 years.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X