Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naturalization with amended tax payment accepted but new numbers not yet in system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naturalization with amended tax payment accepted but new numbers not yet in system

I will fulfill all the requirements needed to file Form N-400 and apply for naturalization by 8/1/2020; but there is one issue that I need to have a clarification about before I do.

March this year, I have filed amended returns for tax years 2017 and 2018 which resulted in due payments (to IRS, OH state, IL state) for the 2017 tax year only. All three payment checks were cleared and processed (stamped pictures from my bank available) but apparently due to the corona virus and being understaffed, the new return numbers have not yet been entered into their systems. So tax transcripts from IRS website still only have old returns.

My question is: would there be a problem filing the Form and doing the interview afterward with the new return numbers not updated at the said offices? Can I bring copies of the new paper returns that I filed to the interview and tell the officer that payments are processed and I don't have any taxes due, or would I be in a grey area then? Thank you very much!

Take proof of filing and the checks being cashed from your bank. The requirement here is that you filed your taxes on time (or sending amendments on time).
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R78 View Post
      Take proof of filing and the checks being cashed from your bank. The requirement here is that you filed your taxes on time (or sending amendments on time).
      Please answer if you have experience with an interview...
      So can you discuss the tax situation with the officer or is it an immediate no?

Comment

What was the reason for 2017 amendment; was it required by IRS or you did you do it voluntarily?
        As a matter of fact, the application does not require to attach the tax transcripts (or any tax documents), it asks for whether you have paid the taxes. So technically you should not attach them, I believe; unless you are marriage based and want to use it as a proof of living together.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X