How can I apply for Citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I apply for Citizenship

I am about to complete my 5 years as a Green card holder along with my wife and a 16 years old son. I am little bit confused on how to apply for citizenship, my concerns are;
    Should I create a separate online application for my self, my wife and son? also which form should I fill out for my 16 years old? any help and assistance in this regard is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Alam

1. File online. It is extremely simple and the system guides you through the questions. Easy to track and all notices can be viewed online (you will even get the paper ones mailed to you)
    2. A separate application for each adult 18 & older. In your case, for your wife and yourself. List all children on that application regardless of their age.
    3. Since your son is 16, there is no need to file an application. When you become a citizen (the day you take the oath and are handed your naturalization certificate), your son automatically becomes a US citizen (this is called derivative citizenship). You can then apply for his passport along with yours.
    A US passport is proof of citizenship.

4. OPTIONAL: If you really want you son to get a certificate, you can apply for "Certificate of US Citizenship" using form N600 & paying $1,170. This is a waste of money as a passport costs $110
    You can only apply for N600 after you become a citizen as a copy of your Naturalization certificate is needed for this process.
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for detailed explanation, appreciate it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X