Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship after green card

Hi everyone,

So I received my second and permanent green card over two years ago (February 2019) through marriage. However, my marriage was not in great shape before the pandemic and it didn't survive it so I have been living in a different state since the pandemic started and we are getting divorced in the next few months.

I would like to know if somebody could tell me what would be the process for me to start applying for citizenship after the divorce and what should I start preparing for it.

Thank you so much,

You would be applying for naturalization under the 5-year rule, so the earliest you can apply is 90 days before you have had a green card for 5 years.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      You would be applying for naturalization under the 5-year rule, so the earliest you can apply is 90 days before you have had a green card for 5 years.
      from the first green card or second? if so then I could already apply
      do I need to save any proof of marriage? we don't really have any ;ease or bill sfrom the past year since I moved out

Comment

Originally posted by rafaelOR View Post

from the first green card or second? if so then I could already apply
        do I need to save any proof of marriage? we don't really have any ;ease or bill sfrom the past year since I moved out
        From the first (i.e. from the "resident since" date on your green card)

Comment

Originally posted by rafaelOR View Post
          Hi everyone,

So I received my second and permanent green card over two years ago (February 2019) through marriage. However, my marriage was not in great shape before the pandemic and it didn't survive it so I have been living in a different state since the pandemic started and we are getting divorced in the next few months.

I would like to know if somebody could tell me what would be the process for me to start applying for citizenship after the divorce and what should I start preparing for it.

Thank you so much,
          I too applied for Green card after marriage. It was not the 5 year rule. With marriage it is 3 years; so we applied for citizenship within the 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of the Green card.
          7. 18. 2017: I130, I131, I485, I864, I765 - Chicago Lockbox: 8. 15. 2017: Biom-Kendall, Florida
          10. 5. 2017: EAD received: 6. 21. 2018: 7. 5. 2018: Interview I797C notice rec’d
          7. 31. 2018: Interview-Kendall, Florida: 7. 31. 2018: Interview success: Imm. I485 approval: 8. 1. 2018: I130 approved
          8. 3. 2018: Card is mailed to me (1485): 8. 8. 2018: 2-yr GC in hand: 6. 6. 2020: ROC: 9. 23. 2020: 10-yr Green Card
          5. 6. 2021: Appl. for Nat.: 8. 16. 2021: Nat. Interview 10. 1. 2021: Oath Cer. Mailed

Comment

Originally posted by Hotaru-Grace View Post

I too applied for Green card after marriage. It was not the 5 year rule. With marriage it is 3 years; so we applied for citizenship within the 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of the Green card.
            The OP needs to have been "living in marital union" with their spouse for the last 3 years at the time of filing N-400 to qualify for naturalization under the 3-year rule. Based on the OP's description, they are not "living in marital union" with their spouse now and they have not yet filed N-400. So they would not qualify for the 3-year rule.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X