Applying for citizenship after extended absence due to Covid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for citizenship after extended absence due to Covid

My Parents have had their Green card since 2014. They last left for India in Oct 2019 intending to come back in 5 months. Then Covid struck and they they were stuck there until March 2021 (17 months). They are now back in the US

Normally any absence from the US for > 1 yr resets your 5 yr waiting period and make you ineligible to apply for citizenship. Wondering if anyone has any experiences in this situation, especially because of absences forced by Covid that were beyond anyone's control.

Should I still take a chance and apply for their citizenship

Hello. I am in the same situation and was wondering how you chose to proceed. Just as an FYI, I did apply and at the interview my parent got through everything but was not immediately provided a clean chit. An RFE was sent indicating that proof has to be provided to indicate residence was not abandoned. Your inputs on your experience will be appreciated.

Comment

@veronmene

so, even if your parents were out of usa for 6+months, they were still able to complete the N400 form & get the
      citizenship interview scheduled & completed.
      -don't you have to have a total of 30+ months (during last 5 yrs) stay in usa to be granted citizenship -or- even get an citizenship interview scheduled?

(i was out of usa for 2yrs (with reentry permit) during covid. also, have not fullfilled 30 months stay in usa.)

-is this right: while filing out N400 form, on the question 'if you have been out of usa for 6+ months', if you reply 'Y',
      it aborts the form filing & an interview cannot be scheduled?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X