Need help for n400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for n400

Hello there, i am fixing to apply for my n400 i am 32 years old and I am still married to us citizen wife! I used a lawyer to get my green card like 6 years ago and I remember at the time he had asked me if I had signed up for the the selective service (draft) my answer was NO because I didn’t know about it! Now on my n400 it asks about it ! What can I do about it? I am 32 years old so I can’t sigh up now

Hello.
    I suggest you to check in website Selective Service System.
    When I have time to apply for citizenship I start worried about my registration in selective service because nobody told
    me I have to register there. But I was so surprised when I call there and representative told me
    i was register in Dmv when I apply for my driver license( God bless this person who register me). A lot of my friend didn’t even know they was register in Selective service but they found their registration info on website.

Comment

Originally posted by Newyoker View Post
      Hello.
      I suggest you to check in website Selective Service System.
      When I have time to apply for citizenship I start worried about my registration in selective service because nobody told
      me I have to register there. But I was so surprised when I call there and representative told me
      i was register in Dmv when I apply for my driver license( God bless this person who register me). A lot of my friend didn’t even know they was register in Selective service but they found their registration info on website.
      I just checked and I am not register.

on their web site it’s states the follows :Immigrant Men 31 and Older – In accordance with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) Policy Manual – Volume 12 – Part D – Chapter 7, applicants for naturalization who are over age 31 are eligible for naturalization even if they knowingly and willfully failed to register. This is because the applicant’s failure to register would be outside of the statutory period during which the applicant must show that he is of good moral character and disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States. Thus a man’s failure to register with Selective Service does not make him ineligible for naturalization because he is age 31 or older. Also, since an immigrant who is age 31 or older remains eligible for naturalization even if he knowingly and willfully failed to register, he should not be asked to get a “Status Information Letter” from Selective Service.

Reference: USCIS Policy Manual – Volume 12 – Part D – Chapter 7

If asked for a “status information letter,” these men may print a formal letter concerning their request for a letter for use with USCIS.

also they have a formal letter to download. That means I don’t need to get a letter explaining why I didn’t Register and I just submit the formal letter they provide?

Comment

Since you are 31 or over, you do not need to get a status information letter.

When did you get a green card? If you got it between 18 and 26, you were likely registered as part of the green card process. If you got it after turning 26, what status did you have in the US before you got your green card? If they only times you were in the US between 18 and 26 were in valid nonimmigrant statuses, you were not required to register.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I overstayed my esta in 2013. I got married in 2015 and I got my residency in 2016. I am still married to my wife but now I decided to apply for citizenship.

Comment

Thank you for bringing this up. I am gonna apply citizenship in a few days and I had no idea what this is. I checked the Selective Service System website I was registered in 2014, which i have no idea how. The only thing I can think of is that that was when I got my social security number and my age was under 26.
            PD: 08/30/2017

11/14/2017, I-765 status was changed to "New card is being produced".
            11/16/2017, I-765 status was changed to "Card was Mailed To Me".
            11/18/2017, Approval notices were received in mail for I-765 and 1-131. they would be valid for one year.
            11/20/2017, Combo card was delivered.
            09/06/2018, EAD renewal was received.
            09/17/2018, Fingerprint Review was completed.
            11/19/2018, Interview was scheduled.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X