Certified Copy of Naturalization Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified Copy of Naturalization Certificate

Has anyone obtained a certified copy of the naturalization certificate after taking the oath at a USCIS facility?
    Please share your experience.

Thank you,

I do not know anyone who has been able to get this. What I have read is the time to ask for it is after a successful N-400 Interview and assuming you have same day oath. I have read that you should ask the IO for this at the conclusion of your interview and they should be able to print another certificate. Again, this is what I have read online.

Comment

Yes. You will receive it after your oath ceremony.

Comment

I was told that you should go back to the office where you took your citizenship test and that is where you can ask for the certified copies of the certificate
        Forms sent 6/2
        Forms received 6/4
        Received texts/e-mails 6/6
        PD 6/5 & 6/6
        NOA between 6/8 and 6/12 (I was out of town)
        Biometrics letter in mail 6/17 w/ 6/28 date
        SR 9/2
        Contacted Congressman 10/1
        Called the Congressman's office 10/10
        Interview letter 10/10
        Approval Letters for I-765 and I-131 10/16
        Received EAD/AP card 10/17
        Interview 11/8 RFE after
        New Card Being Produced 11/16
        Conditional GC received 11/24

Comment

Thank you all for responding to this inquiry. I appreciate the time you gave to send a reply.

I apologize if my question was not entirely clear - I know that at the naturalization ceremony, after taking the oath, you will receive the one and only original certificate of naturalization.

My question was if anyone had any experience or have heard of someone else's experience about asking for a duplicate certified copy of the naturalization certificate. I feel it is necessary to get one because applying for a US passport will require the original document. Having a duplicate certified copy of the original hedges against loss of the original document when being returned by mail. Requesting another original naturalization certificate will cost more money which is something I want to avoid.

I will attempt to ask for a certified copy of my naturalization certificate when I take the oath at a USCIS facility on Tuesday next week and will write how it goes after.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by gaps0214 View Post
            Thank you all for responding to this inquiry. I appreciate the time you gave to send a reply.

I apologize if my question was not entirely clear - I know that at the naturalization ceremony, after taking the oath, you will receive the one and only original certificate of naturalization.

My question was if anyone had any experience or have heard of someone else's experience about asking for a duplicate certified copy of the naturalization certificate. I feel it is necessary to get one because applying for a US passport will require the original document. Having a duplicate certified copy of the original hedges against loss of the original document when being returned by mail. Requesting another original naturalization certificate will cost more money which is something I want to avoid.

I will attempt to ask for a certified copy of my naturalization certificate when I take the oath at a USCIS facility on Tuesday next week and will write how it goes after.

Cheers,
            Please keep us posted how it goes. I would also like a certified copy of my Naturalization Certificate just in case. Thank you!

Comment

Why not carry some notarized copies? Not the same as certified ones but should serve you everywhere for pretty much any need except when they explicitly ask for the original.
              2018 Marriage-based AOS (I-130, I-485, I-765)
              07-09: Package Delivered to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
              07-17: NOA texts & emails (~10:30 pm)
              07-17: Checks cashed
              07-20: 3 NOAs received in the mail
              07-27: Biometrics letter in mail; scheduled for 08-08
              07-30: Biometrics done; USCIS received on 07-31
              08-02: RFIE for proof of legal employment; replied 08-04
              08-08: USCIS received RFIE, case no longer on hold
              10-04: AP approved
              11-28: Case Ready to Be Scheduled for Interview
              11-29: EAD approved

Comment

Just saw this re obtaining a certified true copy of naturalization certificate:

If you are required to provide an “authenticated” copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship to someone outside of the U.S. government,

It is a good idea to ask after your oath ceremony how to obtain one so please keep us posted how it goes.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I am updating the thread.

I had my oath-taking ceremony two days ago at a USCIS facility. I registered to vote afterwards because there was an election representative in the room.

After the ceremony (around 2:00 pm), I went to get an info pass appointment to request a certified copy of my naturalization certificate (I was given an original during the ceremony).

But I was told that it can only be done by telephone. So there it is, some offices may allow for same-day infopass appointments but Seattle isn't having any of that.

Anyway, the next stop was the passport appointment I had made when I received the oath-taking invitation letter.

USPS told me that the State Department is going to return the original naturalization certificate after 4 weeks, and they declined my offer to prepay a return envelope that I can track, they said that the return mail service is paid for by the State Department and I would just be wasting for a prepaid self-addressed certified envelope with tracking.

So that's that. I hope I get back my original naturalization certificate because there is a matter of the Social Security office that needs to be updated with my citizenship status which will require the original copy too.

Thank you to everyone who has been very helpful in this forum.

Blessings,

Comment

Hello everyone,

So that's that. I hope I get back my original naturalization certificate because there is a matter of the Social Security office that needs to be updated with my citizenship status which will require the original copy too.

for SS i just sent them my passport card and that was accepted as proof of citizenship so you might be able to do the same if you are reluctant to send your oath cert!

Comment

Hello everyone,

I am updating the thread.

I had my oath-taking ceremony two days ago at a USCIS facility. I registered to vote afterwards because there was an election representative in the room.

After the ceremony (around 2:00 pm), I went to get an info pass appointment to request a certified copy of my naturalization certificate (I was given an original during the ceremony).

But I was told that it can only be done by telephone. So there it is, some offices may allow for same-day infopass appointments but Seattle isn't having any of that.

Anyway, the next stop was the passport appointment I had made when I received the oath-taking invitation letter.

USPS told me that the State Department is going to return the original naturalization certificate after 4 weeks, and they declined my offer to prepay a return envelope that I can track, they said that the return mail service is paid for by the State Department and I would just be wasting for a prepaid self-addressed certified envelope with tracking.

Thank you to everyone who has been very helpful in this forum.

Blessings,

Thanks for the update. I have read that it may take as long as 6-7 weeks to get NC back (also it gets shipped in an orange envelope). So, plan on being patient!

State Dept is actually quite reliable and will get your NC back to you. My wife will have her N-400 this week and will be applying for both passport and passport card soon after.

Comment

Originally posted by hpx3000 View Post
                        Why not carry some notarized copies? Not the same as certified ones but should serve you everywhere for pretty much any need except when they explicitly ask for the original.
                        Notarizing doesn't do squat. In fact, I doubt much you can get such a thing notarized. '

Comment

Originally posted by flyingron View Post

Notarizing doesn't do squat. In fact, I doubt much you can get such a thing notarized. '
                          All my documents are notarized, no issues ever. Some like to overkill, to each their own.
                          2018 Marriage-based AOS (I-130, I-485, I-765)
                          07-09: Package Delivered to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
                          07-17: NOA texts & emails (~10:30 pm)
                          07-17: Checks cashed
                          07-20: 3 NOAs received in the mail
                          07-27: Biometrics letter in mail; scheduled for 08-08
                          07-30: Biometrics done; USCIS received on 07-31
                          08-02: RFIE for proof of legal employment; replied 08-04
                          08-08: USCIS received RFIE, case no longer on hold
                          10-04: AP approved
                          11-28: Case Ready to Be Scheduled for Interview
                          11-29: EAD approved

Comment

Originally posted by SouthBay2019 View Post

Thanks for the update. I have read that it may take as long as 6-7 weeks to get NC back (also it gets shipped in an orange envelope). So, plan on being patient!

State Dept is actually quite reliable and will get your NC back to you. My wife will have her N-400 this week and will be applying for both passport and passport card soon after.
                            Thank you for this, that's a relief.

Cheers,

Comment

Acquiring a Certified Copy of my Naturalization Certificate has been a pivotal step. Its significance for me is profound. In the midst of this process, I discovered A Research Guide This resource has been a guiding light, simplifying what initially seemed daunting. As a student, such resources make a world of difference, streamlining complex procedures and allowing me to focus on my academic path.
                              ​​
                              Last edited by JoseGrays; 08-21-2023, 04:04 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X