Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N400 - need advice about (mostly Adult) children

Hello!

Background: Mid 50's male originally from UK, LPR since 2013 based on marriage; still happily married; have worked since legally able to and filed taxes every year, never applied for any type of social security or benefits. No criminal record anywhere in the world.

I have NOT yet submitted the N-400, but it is in draft on the USCIS website.

I recently decided to take the final step, and apply for citizenship; I have filled out N-400 but there just one area that I feel might be an issue.

We have no kids together, but we each have 2 children from a previous marriage - three of those four are adults (ranging from 20 to 33 years old). The two eldest (mine - 27 & 33) still live in Western Europe (UK & Ireland), but I only have contact with one - no contact with the other in over five years; I dont know where they live. Because they are both adults, I am not legally oblidged to financially support either of them of course.

Of the two youngest (hers - 17 & 20) the youngest spends 50/50 of their time with us and the other half with their father; the eldest of the two lives somewhere mid-west, with no contact. I am not legally oblidged to pay child support, but my wife is, and does. It's through a government lockbox service, so evidence should be easy to produce if needed - but I am unsure if we need to prove anything for my wife ?

I listed all four on the N-400 because that appears to be the right thing to do (all children, biological ,step etc). But later on, it asks for evidence of a relationship with each of them; I only have contact with one of my kids (33 years old) and one of her kids (17 years old - the youngest of all four). I do have access to the youngests birth certificate, but none of the others.

For the evidence section, I wrote a note and saved in PDF format explaining the situation, as stated above but perhaps in more detail.

Is this going to be an issue? Am I forced to accept that I will only ever be a LPR, and have no ability to become a citizen?

Do we need to prove that my wife is paying child support (we can without any issue - but are they wanting that evidence?)?

I believe in every other aspect I would be seen as a perfect candidate; happily married to a US citizen, we both work a respectable job, never been unemployed. file joint taxes on time every time, no tax debt, own a home, etc etc.

I dont want to pay the fee if my chances are anything below average.

Thanks for any information or advice or evidence style stories you may wish to share/provide!

Have a great day!

Not an expert or lawyer but I have never heard of this having an impact on the N400. Honestly, I think the questions they are asking is the exact opposite of the reasons that you believe might impact your application.

I would assume the reason why they would ask for proof of a relationship is that for anyone under 18 would automatically become a US Citizen when you become a citizen and therefore they want to truly make sure this child is related to you. Likewise once you become a Citizen you will be able to petition for your children back in the UK to be given a GC. I believe this is the reason why they are asking for evidence, to prove that the children truly belong to you and i'm sure things such as Birth Certificate with you being listed as the father would suffice. If anything the fact that one of your kids is no longer in contact may be a boon to your application as you would be less likely to petition for them to come over. I would add a statement that has been notarized with the facts you listed above to make it official and ease any worries you have had.

Just want to restate I am not an expert and I had no children when applying for my N-400 so you might want to wait for other opinions but honestly I think you are good to go and will be successful in your application!

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Upon reflection your response makes sense, and I just submitted my payment and application! Approximate time is currently 14 months......

Comment

Originally posted by BritInMA View Post
        Hello!

But later on, it asks for evidence of a relationship with each of them;
        I see nothing that asks for that evidence. Please provide a reference.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X