Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little over 15 months abroad -- still worth giving citizenship application a shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little over 15 months abroad -- still worth giving citizenship application a shot?

Hello,

I was abroad for a little over 15 months after my dad passed away from a long illness. I've been working remote for a US company and kept an address in the United States. Obviously it does break the continuous residency criterion but other than that I meet all the criteria for applying for citizenship.

My question is, is it worth applying or there is no way I'm going to get approved?

Thanks.​

An absence of more than 1 year definitely breaks continuous residence (except for employees of certain US government or research organizations who filed I-407, which I'm assuming is not the case). The only question is whether you have to wait 4 years + 1 day or 4 years + 6 months after your return before you can apply for naturalization. If you can provide strong evidence of ties, you can qualify 4 years + 1 day after your return. If not, you qualify 4 years + 6 months after your return. There is definitely no way you can be approved in less than 4 years after your return, if you are applying under the 5-year rule.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by rnsceb3 View Post
      Hello,

I was abroad for a little over 15 months after my dad passed away from a long illness. I've been working remote for a US company and kept an address in the United States. Obviously it does break the continuous residency criterion but other than that I meet all the criteria for applying for citizenship.

My question is, is it worth applying or there is no way I'm going to get approved?

Thanks.​
      If you mean 15 consecutive months, then it is a waste of money to apply.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X