“Frequent” Absences Before Applying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Frequent” Absences Before Applying

I currently have a US permanent residence and the earliest I can apply for citizenship is Sept 2023. I fulfill the continuous stay. I also have 980+ days in the US since my green card was issued 5 years ago.

I am a student have had a lot of back and forth between Canada and the US, my parents reside in the US, I pay US taxes, work in the US, and I am above 18. Will multiple trips to attend school in Canada over the last few years be a cause of citizenship rejection? Even if the continuous stay and physical presence days are met at the time of application? USCIS mentions 'frequent absences' as a potential concern to officers but offers no additional/concrete information so I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Should I apply at the earliest date or wait until I graduate and establish longer continuous stays in the US?​

As long as you meet the continuous stay and physical presence requirements then you should be fine. I would also bring evidence to show that you were attending college in Canada during this time. (transcripts, schedules, emails etc) You have a legitimate reasons for those trips so I would not be too concerned.

The part that would concern me more is if i actually did meet the two requirements so just double check that you actually do meet the requirements and you should be fine!

Comment

Originally posted by yogafan View Post
      I currently have a US permanent residence and the earliest I can apply for citizenship is Sept 2023. I fulfill the continuous stay. I also have 980+ days in the US since my green card was issued 5 years ago.

I am a student have had a lot of back and forth between Canada and the US, my parents reside in the US, I pay US taxes, work in the US, and I am above 18. Will multiple trips to attend school in Canada over the last few years be a cause of citizenship rejection? Even if the continuous stay and physical presence days are met at the time of application? USCIS mentions 'frequent absences' as a potential concern to officers but offers no additional/concrete information so I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Should I apply at the earliest date or wait until I graduate and establish longer continuous stays in the US?​
      If you have 600 or more days of absence in the past 5 years, you can expect difficulties.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X