Surrender Certificate - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrender Certificate - Question

I got the OCI before May 31, 2010 acquiring foreign citizenship through naturalization. When I applied for the OCI, at CGI, Chicago, I took the Indian passports along with US passports and got the OCI sticker on the US passport and got the Indian passport as 'CANCELLED'
    Now as per your website, by looking at the new Surrender Certificate or the CANCELLED Indian passport, shows that there is a stamp "Passport Cancelled on acquisition of U.S. (Foreign) Nationality" on the Indian passport and the ends are cut. But my passport has a Seal as "CANCELLED" on the front and back pages but the passport covers are not cut. Technically, the Indian passport is cancelled but does not state the reason why it was cancelled and the passport cannot be used for any travel. But my question is Do I need to apply and send to CGI, Chicago for 'Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and obtain surrender certificate? by paying the $20 for the Miscellaneous Service?
    I checked my spouse and my elder son's Indian passport. The passports are all 'CANCELLED' - Can we live with this and will this be considered as Surrender certificate?
    Need your help as I could not get a good answer from CGI's

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X