Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife and I filing N-400, child under 18

Hello experts -

My wife and I and our 2 children under 18 all have Green cards and have lived in the US for over 5 years. We're in the process of filing form N-400 for citizenship but had a question regarding our children. They are 10 and 12 and, as far as I can tell, they can't file N-400 for themselves. Will they automatically become citizens when we, their parents, become citizens? Is there a form I need to file for this to happen or do I just list them as my children/dependents on my N-400 and that takes care of it?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Wayne99; 01-08-2024, 07:35 PM.

The moment either of you naturalizes, if your children are green card holders, under 18, and living in the US in your legal and physical custody, they automatically and involuntarily become US citizens under INA 320. There is no form to file. It happens automatically when all the conditions are met.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      The moment either of you naturalizes, if your children are green card holders, under 18, and living in the US in your legal and physical custody, they automatically and involuntarily become US citizens under INA 320. There is no form to file. It happens automatically when all the conditions are met.
      Thank you very much for you quick and concise answer. Much appreciated!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X