Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using B1 visa and J1 together...please help immihelp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using B1 visa and J1 together...please help immihelp!

Hi there, I have a valid b1/b2 visa with me (valid till 2016) and now I will soon be going for applying for J-1 visa as my ds-2019 has reached me. I am going to do residency in US..but before my residency I need to orient myself to US health system and for that I need to go two months in advance. However, as per J-1 rules, I can't enter US on J-1 30 days before official start date of my residency. Now, my question is--can I go to US on my b1/b2 for staying for a month and then for the next month I start staying using my J-1? Is it possible?

Another thing, how much time it takes to process J-1 in US as compared to India? Can I go to US on B1 and then apply for J-1 issuance from there?

Please please help...I have only 15 days left with me to decide things up. Thank you very much!

Hi,
    Well you can go on B1 and then change your status to J1. You will remain in J1 status as long as you are in the US. Form DS2019 will be of no use . There is another form you need to apply you can find the info on ecfmg.org. But when you go out of the country then you would have to apply for J1 visa. But some times change of status takes long may be upto 3 months depending on the load and if you dont get that change of status you cant start your inter year.Its risky.

Heres another option you can try. If you dont have a muslim name and if your B1/B2 visa was issued with out any processing on the first time. Travel on B1 and 1 month prior to begining of your residency go to Canada or Mexico which ever is closer and Get a J1 stamped and enter on J1 since you already have DS2019. If money is not a problem and if I were you I would go for the orientation now, get a HDFC receit and book a Visa appointment from US itself, come back to India for a few days , one month prior to start date get J1 stamped and then go back on J1.That way you will eliminate the uncertainty of change of status in US.

Im a PGY2 resident in NY, as far as I know orientation begins only 2-3 weeks prior to July 1st I dont know why you want to go so early when you already matched. Its time to have fun. Anyways you must be having something important. All the best !!

Comment

Originally posted by drwajeed View Post
      Hi,
      Well you can go on B1 and then change your status to J1. You will remain in J1 status as long as you are in the US. Form DS2019 will be of no use . There is another form you need to apply you can find the info on ecfmg.org. But when you go out of the country then you would have to apply for J1 visa. But some times change of status takes long may be upto 3 months depending on the load and if you dont get that change of status you cant start your inter year.Its risky.

Heres another option you can try. If you dont have a muslim name and if your B1/B2 visa was issued with out any processing on the first time. Travel on B1 and 1 month prior to begining of your residency go to Canada or Mexico which ever is closer and Get a J1 stamped and enter on J1 since you already have DS2019. If money is not a problem and if I were you I would go for the orientation now, get a HDFC receit and book a Visa appointment from US itself, come back to India for a few days , one month prior to start date get J1 stamped and then go back on J1.That way you will eliminate the uncertainty of change of status in US.

Im a PGY2 resident in NY, as far as I know orientation begins only 2-3 weeks prior to July 1st I dont know why you want to go so early when you already matched. Its time to have fun. Anyways you must be having something important. All the best !!
      thank you very much for your help drwajeed. I wanted to go earlier because the program wants me to do few weeks observership before the residency session starts.

Comment

Please help Dr. Wajeed

Dear Dr. Wajeed

I was in the US on a B1 visa which took 4 months to get ( My name is Ahmed)
        Unfortunately I didnt know about the change of status thing and I ended up returning to India and now I am stuck.
        My visa interview was in April and now its July and I have no idea what to do.
        Contacting the embassy is useless.
        Can I cancel my J 1 application, travel on B1 and do change of status in the US now?
        Please help me
        Ahmed
        [email protected]

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X