How to answer J1 Visa questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to answer J1 Visa questions?

As a UK student, I am looking for internships in the US that require me to obtain a J1 Visa and use a 3rd party sponsor. During the job application process, I frequently encounter a two-part question:
    1. Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?
    2. Will you require sponsorship for employment developerbook at any point, including now echat or in the future?

Based on my situation, should I answer "yes" to both koows questions since I am eligible for the visa but need a 3rd party sponsor?
    Last edited by XingxoYamchu; 04-28-2023, 08:01 AM.

As a UK student looking for internships in the US that require a J1 visa and a third-party sponsor, you should answer "yes" to the second question, as you will need sponsorship for employment. However, for the first question, you should answer "no," as being eligible for a J1 visa does not automatically mean that you are legally authorized to work in the United States.

A J1 visa is specifically for exchange visitors, including students and researchers, who are participating in approved programs in the US. To work in the US on a J1 visa, you will need to obtain authorization from your program sponsor, who will issue a Form DS-2019 that authorizes you to work within the terms of your program. This authorization is different from being legally authorized to work in the US, which requires a work visa or authorization through other means.

Therefore, when answering the question, "Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?", it is important to distinguish between being eligible for a J1 visa and being authorized to work. By answering "no" to the first question and "yes" to the second question, you can provide accurate information about your situation and increase your chances of finding an internship that fits your needs.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X