J1 Visa into USA Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 Visa into USA Question

I have recently returned to the U.K. after completing an exchange program in the US from the UK where I had a J1 visa as a student for 6 months (duration of the semester). I was now looking to get an internship in the US and was wondering what the process was.

I spoke to an agency which helps provide internships in the US and they told me I could run into trouble applying for another J1 visa for the internship as I was just on one for the exchange. They told me about a 2 year return rule where someone on the visa must return to their home country for at least 2 years before applying for another visa into VidMate​ the U.S.

However, on my visa it states “BEARER IS NOT SUBJECT TO SECTION 212(E). TWO YEAR RULE DOES NOT APPLY” does this mean I can apply for another visa into the US at anytime making this internship possible or am I getting it wrong.

If someone could explain this to me I would appreciate it and if I am eligible to apply for another visa is a reason why I am exempt from this 2 year rule? TIA
    Last edited by rogantano; 10-10-2023, 09:57 AM.

Yes, you are eligible to apply for another J-1 visa for an internship in the US, even though you were just on one for an exchange program. The two-year home residency requirement does not apply to you because your visa states "BEARER IS NOT SUBJECT TO SECTION 212(E). TWO YEAR RULE DOES NOT APPLY."

There are a few reasons why you may be exempt from the two-year home residency requirement. One possibility is that you received a waiver from the US Department of State. Another possibility is that you are participating in a program that is exempt from the requirement, such as the Conrad State 30 Program.

To find out more about why you are exempt from the two-year home residency requirement, you can contact the US Department of State or the organization that sponsored your exchange program.

To apply for a J-1 visa for an internship, you will need to find a sponsor organization and complete a DS-2019 form. You will also need to pay an application fee and submit a visa application to the US embassy or consulate in your home country.

I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your internship application!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X