Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 visa application from third country

Hi there,

I'm a by born Bangladeshi citizen, currently living in Canada (after completing my Master and PhD here from Canada, I'm currently working as a postdoctoral Researcher at a Canadian university). Recently, I accepted a postdoc offer from a renowned US university. Currently, they are processing my J1 sponsorship request. Given the joining timeline is pretty close (January 1), wondering if I would be able to apply for J1 visa from Canada (as a third-country, status: non-immigrant/no PR/Canadian Citizen), instead of going back to Bangladesh and applying from there given that the processing time is quite shorter here from Canada. Thank you for your feedback in advance - appreciate it!

Yes, you can apply for a J-1 visa from Canada as a third-country national. There is no requirement that you apply for a J-1 visa from your home country. In fact, many J-1 visa applicants apply from countries other than their own.

There are a few things you will need to do to apply for a J-1 visa from Canada:
    1. Obtain a DS-2019 form from your sponsor. This form is required for all J-1 visa applicants.
    2. Complete the online DS-160 visa application form.
    3. Schedule an interview with a US consular officer. You can do this online through the US Visa Appointment Service.
    4. Pay the visa application fee.
    5. Attend your visa interview.

At your visa interview, you will need to present the following documents:
    • A valid passport
    • A DS-2019 form from your sponsor
    • A completed DS-160 visa application form
    • Evidence of financial support
    • Evidence of ties to your home country
    • A visa application fee

You may also need to present additional documents, depending on your individual circumstances.

The processing time for J-1 visa applications can vary depending on the country where you are applying from and the workload at the US consulate. However, the processing time is generally shorter in Canada than in Bangladesh.

I recommend that you contact the US consulate in Canada to inquire about
    omeglz the echat current processing time for J-1 visa applications. You can also contact your sponsor for assistance with the application process.

I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your J-1 visa application!
    Last edited by PomaryLinea; 04-26-2024, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Yes, you can apply for a J-1 visa from Canada even though you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. As a non-immigrant with temporary status in Canada, you are still eligible to apply for a J-1 visa from a U.S. consulate or embassy in Canada. The processing times for J-1 visas vary depending on the location, but they are generally shorter in Canada than in Bangladesh.

Here are the steps you need to take to apply for a J-1 visa from Canada:
      1. Secure a J-1 sponsorship: You will need to find a U.S.-based organization that is designated as a J-1 sponsor. The sponsor will issue you a Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, which is required to apply for a J-1 visa.
      2. Complete the DS-160 form: This is the online nonimmigrant visa application form. You will need to create an account on the U.S. Department of State's website and complete the form with your personal information, travel plans, and other details.
      3. Pay the visa application fee: The current fee for a J-1 visa is $160. You can pay the fee online or at a designated payment location.
      4. Schedule a visa interview: Once you have completed the DS-160 form and paid the visa fee, you will need to schedule a visa interview at a U.S. consulate or embassy in Canada.
      5. Attend your visa interview: Bring all of the omegle required owespeedtest documents to your interview, including your passport, DS-2019 form, DS-160 confirmation page, photo, and any other supporting documentation.
      Last edited by DolanaKerr; 11-27-2023, 08:13 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X