Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J1 Visa: How Long Does Department of State take to review?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 Visa: How Long Does Department of State take to review?

Hi! I was on a J1 research and going on a J1 physician.

ECFMG has told me that this must go to the US Department of State before the visa is issued. Can anyone speak from experience about how long this takes? ECFMG couldn’t give me a timeline on it but I’m already behind schedule with residency starting.

Thanks!

The amount of time it takes for the US Department of State to process a J1 physician waiver varies depending on the individual case. However, it is generally recommended that you apply for the waiver at least 6 months in advance of your desired start date for residency.

Here is a general overview of the J1 physician waiver process:
    1. Submit a completed DS-3035 form to the ECFMG.
    2. The ECFMG will review your application and make a recommendation to the US Department of State.
    3. The US Department of State will review the ECFMG's recommendation and make a final decision on your waiver request.
    4. If your waiver request is approved, you will receive a letter of approval from the US Department of State.
    5. You will then need to present the letter of approval to the US embassy or consulate when you apply for your J1 physician visa.

It is important to note that the US Department of State may request additional information from you during the waiver review process. This could include your CV, letters of recommendation, or other documentation.

If you are already behind schedule with residency starting, you may want to contact the program director of your residency program to explain your situation. They may be able to work with you to accommodate your delayed start date.

Here are some tips for expediting the J1 physician waiver process:
    • Submit a complete and accurate DS-3035 form.
    • Make sure that you have all of the required documentation attached to your application.
    • Respond promptly to any requests for additional information from the ECFMG or US Department of State.
    • Contact the program director of your residency program to explain your omeglz situation online2yu and echat and see if they can work with you to accommodate a delayed start date.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by MathewTamra; 12-05-2023, 07:49 AM.

Comment

While I don't have personal experience, reaching out to others who've gone through the J1 physician process might yield some valuable insights. Sometimes, forums like Reddit or community groups are great for real-life timelines.

Comment

HI All,

I have been given 221 g case how long it will take for J1 visa category. Regards satheesh

Comment

Originally posted by holatir427 View Post
          Hi! I was on a J1 research and going on a J1 physician.

ECFMG has told me that this must go to the US Department of State before the visa is issued. Can anyone speak from experience about how long this takes? ECFMG couldn’t give me a timeline on it but I’m already behind schedule with residency starting.

Thanks!
          Some visa applications involve the NVC, which can add additional processing time for document review and pre-processing before it reaches the DoS.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X