Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealander, living in Canada, dating an american

Hi all,

I'm very new to this site, I have done some research but frankly legal stuff confuses the hell out of me.

So I'm currently living in Canada on a working visa and am dating an American. The problem is that in less than a year my visa will be up and I will have to return to NZ. We have considered the idea of getting married (nothing serious yet) but if we did I'm curious what the best way would be to go about it?

From what I've seen of the K1 it looks like I would have to go back to NZ anyway for the interview, medical exam, etc. Is there anyway that I can do all or most of that process while still in Canada? I really don't want to spend any time away from my partner.

I also had a friend marry an american, whilst there on the visa waiver. But they said that they couldn't work, drive, rent or have a bank account for a year after getting married while waiting for their green card.

What do you advise is the best way forward for my partner and I?

Thank you

P.S. Apologies for the terrible grammar, it's never been my strong suit

For what I know the best way to join your partner is the K1. Processing time vary between 6 and 9 months. You need to be home to submit the application, get medical exams and attend the interview, but once it?s approved, you can legally and freely travel to the states, get married in 90 days and live with your better half. This is what I did, it?s a pretty long and stressful wait but it?s worth it: any shortcuts might be ?immigration speaking? dangerous.
    Good luck!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X