Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Through K1 Via Process...Questions Abound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Through K1 Via Process...Questions Abound...

Hi !

I have a few questions as frustration is starting to set in...

I live in the USA. I've had a Russian fiancé for many years - met her first in person in 2009 - been on many trips, etc., but last saw her 2 years ago before the war started. And let me tell you - the war and what can be done now are really complicating matters. Why did we wait so long? Too long of a story to get into. Main thing is that a box of paperwork (proofs, communication, etc., etc., etc.) was submitted to USICS on May 4, 2022. We finally got approved in June of this year (2023), but that's only the start, apparently. It was then sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) - who no longer takes phone calls - and subsequently, was recently sent to the US EMBASSY IN Warsaw, Poland (since US Embassies in Russia are shut down, at least for visa processing). I have a number of questions that I submitted to NVC via their webform....seems the only way is to ask there and wait who-knows-how-long for a reply.

a) I STILL have not gotten any welcome letter from them. Thus far, I can not login to CEAC with my case number because I don't have any receipt number. Will this come AFTER the NVC fee(s) are / is paid?

b) It appears they are asking for a number of items in this part of the process - relationship proofs, for one thing. I already sent in a ton of stuff to USICS (proofs, communication, financial support, etc.) - does NVC need these again??? Really???

c) My fiancé is concerned, to say the least, about having to go to Poland to the interview (when it's set, waiting on communication from them - could take "several weeks". They have been told by state media in Russia that Poland is not a friendly country. I will go to Warsaw to be with her, though I believe I am not allowed in the actual interview. With most transportation shutdown in Russia - including a Moscow to Warsaw train - seems like our only option is to have her get to Moscow, fly to Istanbul, and then fly from Istanbul to Warsaw - and the reverse, of course, when done. Does anyone have any insight to this?

d) DS160 - must be filled out in English. Her English is not very good, so I will try to do it on her behalf. Says it takes 90 minutes to complete. Comments?

e) Medical exam - she either has to go to (approved by USA) doctor in Moscow or Warsaw for this. Moscow - they are telling her it will take a week for results / paperwork from exam. Seriously? Do we go with the Warsaw doctor option?

f) Since everything here is so tedious and complicated, I am wondering if it's a good idea or not to hire an immigration attorney to assist me with all of this. after all of this work and time, I am scared that if I miss one thing, everything will be rejected. Yet, I got this far on my own, so I don't know what is best....? Thoughts?

I'm sure I have more questions, but this is what comes to mind at the moment. Thank you to all that may be able to help me mitigate this mess.

Andy

a) I STILL have not gotten any welcome letter from them. Thus far, I can not login to CEAC with my case number because I don't have any receipt number. Will this come AFTER the NVC fee(s) are / is paid?

Yes, you will receive a welcome letter from the NVC after you have paid the NVC processing fee. You will need the receipt number from your payment to create an account on CEAC.

b) It appears they are asking for a number of items in this part of the process - relationship proofs, for one thing. I already sent in a ton of stuff to USICS (proofs, communication, financial support, etc.) - does NVC need these again??? Really???

Yes, the NVC will need to see all of the same evidence of your relationship as USCIS did. This is because the NVC is responsible for making sure that your fiancé meets the requirements for a K-1 visa.

c) My fiancé is concerned, to say the least, about having to go to Poland to the interview (when it's set, waiting on communication from them - could take "several weeks". They have been told by state media in Russia that Poland is not a friendly country. I will go to Warsaw to be with her, though I believe I am not allowed in the actual interview. With most transportation shutdown in Russia - including a Moscow to Warsaw train - seems like our only option is to have her get to Moscow, fly to Istanbul, and then fly from Istanbul to Warsaw - and the reverse, of course, when done. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Poland is a safe country for your fiancé to visit, and the US Embassy in Warsaw is well-staffed and experienced in processing K-1 visas. There are a number of airlines that offer direct flights from Moscow to Istanbul, and from Istanbul to Warsaw.

d) DS160 - must be filled out in English. Her English is not very good, so I will try to do it on her behalf. Says it takes 90 minutes to complete. Comments?

Yes, the DS-160 must be filled out in English. You can help your fiancé fill out the form, but she must be present and must answer all of the questions truthfully. The form takes about 90 minutes to complete, but it is important to be careful and accurate.

e) Medical exam - she either has to go to (approved by USA) doctor in Moscow or Warsaw for this. Moscow - they are telling her it will take a week for results / paperwork from exam. Seriously? Do we go with the Warsaw doctor option?

I would recommend that your fiancé get her medical exam done in Warsaw. The US Embassy in Warsaw has a list of approved doctors, and you can find it on their website. The medical exam results should be available within a few days.

f) Since everything here is so tedious and complicated, I am wondering if it's a good idea or not to hire an immigration attorney to assist me with all of this. after all of this work and time, I am scared that if I miss one thing, everything will be rejected. Yet, I got this far on my own, so I don't know what is best....? Thoughts?

Whether or not to hire an immigration attorney is a personal decision. Some people find that it is helpful to have an attorney to guide them through the process, while others prefer to handle it themselves. If you are not sure what to do, I recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss your specific situation.

Here are some additional tips for completing the K-1 visa process:
    • Be organized and keep track of all of your paperwork.
    • Respond to all requests from the NVC promptly.
    • Be honest and accurate on all of your forms.
    • If you have any questions, don't be afraid to contact the NVC or an immigration attorney.

I wish you and your fiancé koowspin all the echatrandom best in your K-1 visa journey.
    Last edited by HoumirKinkar; 09-28-2023, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Thank you VERY much for your time and detailed reply. MUCH appreciated. Now I feel a lot more confident on what needs to be done.

One last question - she is coming to the USA for us to marry. I see instructions on NVC to fill out form DS-160 - NON-immigrant - shouldn't this be DS-260 - IMMIGRANT - in my situation?

Comment

Originally posted by DrInfoman View Post
        Thank you VERY much for your time and detailed reply. MUCH appreciated. Now I feel a lot more confident on what needs to be done.

One last question - she is coming to the USA for us to marry. I see instructions on NVC to fill out form DS-160 - NON-immigrant - shouldn't this be DS-260 - IMMIGRANT - in my situation?
        no 160

Comment

Yeah, I learned that it was indeed DS-160 during the past few days. Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X