K-1 visa process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-1 visa process

I was wondering if it would be an issue if I live with my fiancé in her home country while we wait for her k-1 visa to be issued. We don’t want to be apart during this process. We have a joint sponsor lined up. We will be staying with my parents when we come back.​
    Last edited by v1elvet; 12-20-2023, 01:27 AM.

Yes, it would be an issue if you live with your fiancé in her home country while you wait for her K-1 visa to be issued. The K-1 visa is designed for fiancés to travel to the United States to get married within 90 days of their arrival. If you are already living together, it will raise questions about the genuineness of your relationship. The immigration officer may question whether you are truly committed to getting married, as you are already living together without the legal benefits of marriage.

Instead, you should consider visiting your fiancé in her home country for short periods of time while you wait for her visa to be approved. This will allow you to spend time together and strengthen your relationship, while still adhering to the
    omeglz requirements online2yu of the K-1 visa process.

Comment

The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. The ...When applying for a K-1 visa, the foreign partner Core Ball will need to attend an interview at their local U.S. embassy or consulate. In this guide, you'll find what you need to have a successful K-1 visa interview. Regarding the K1 visa processing time, it takes about 8 months to 1 year to get your K1 visa. Once you are in the United States on your K1 visa, it takes about another 7 to 9 months to get your green card and become a permanent resident.So, to recap, as of 2023, the current processing time for the K-1 visa is shorter than the CR1 visa, however the CR1 visa will help your foreign spouse obtain their green card faster. The K-1 visa therefore is generally a good option for couples who want to get married in the U.S., rather than getting married abroad.How long is the K-1 processing time 2023? The K-1 visa currently takes 6 months for applicants applying today,
      Last edited by emmaagro; 01-27-2024, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by v1elvet View Post
        I was wondering if it would be an issue if I live with my fiancé in her home country while we wait for her k-1 visa to be issued. We don’t want to be apart during this process. We have a joint sponsor lined up. We will be staying with my parents when we come back. ​
        Living with your fiancée in her home country while waiting for the K-1 visa could potentially present some challenges, and it's important to be aware of the implications of such a decision. Here are a few considerations:
        Intent of the K-1 Visa: The K-1 visa, also known as the fiancé(e) visa, is specifically designed for couples intending to marry in the United States. If you are already residing together in her home country, it might raise questions about the genuine intention to marry in the U.S.
        Addressing the Consular Interview: During the K-1 visa application process, you will likely go through a consular interview. Living together in her home country may prompt questions about why you are not already living in the U.S. and may require you to explain the circumstances.
        Establishing Intent to Marry: The primary purpose of the K-1 visa is to allow couples to marry in the U.S. within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the country. Living together in her home country may require additional documentation or explanations to establish your genuine intent to marry in the U.S.
        Maintaining Clear Communication: It's crucial to communicate openly with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate handling your case. If your plans change or if you encounter any unforeseen circumstances, informing the relevant authorities is essential.

As for staying with your parents upon your return, that is generally acceptable, especially if you have a joint sponsor to meet the financial requirements. Keep in mind that each case is unique, and it's advisable to consult with an immigration attorney for personalized guidance based on your specific situation.

Comment

While living with your fiancé in her home country while waiting for the K-1 visa might not be an inherent issue, it could raise some questions during the visa interview due to potential "immigrant intent." Here's a breakdown:

Potential Concerns:
          • Immigrant intent: The K-1 visa is specifically for fiancé(e)s entering the US to marry and remain permanently. Living together beforehand could raise concerns that you plan to stay in her country, not return for the wedding.
          • Documentation: Proving strong ties to your home country (job, family, property) becomes tougher while living abroad.

Mitigation Strategies:
          • Transparency: Be upfront about your living arrangements during the interview. Explain your rationale (desire to be together, cultural immersion) and emphasize your commitment to the K-1 process (wedding plans, confirmed US address).
          • Strong ties: Clearly demonstrate your personal and professional ties to your home country through documents like employment contracts, property ownership, and family connections.
          • Joint sponsor: Having a strong, credible joint sponsor adds weight to your commitment to returning after the wedding.

Alternative:
          • Consider visiting each other for shorter periods, emphasizing a long-distance relationship while maintaining ties to your home countries.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and depends on your individual circumstances . Remember, honesty and strong ties to your home country are key when navigating the K-1 visa process.

I recommend consulting with an immigration attorney to discuss your
          koows specific situation koows and receive personalized advice.

Good luck!

Last edited by TatwanFilemdar; 02-20-2024, 06:09 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X