Where/when should we get married? fiancee vs spouse visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where/when should we get married? fiancee vs spouse visa

Hey everyone, forgive me as I'm new to this and overwhelmed by all the different options and processes!

Basically, I am a UK citizen and my boyfriend is a US citizen - I'm trying to figure out the easiest/fastest/cheapest way for us to marry and for me to join him in the US. We could potentially marry in England this March, and then file for a immediate relative spouse visa... OR we could file for a fiancee visa and i could fly to the US to marry him there. Which way would be recommended? If i was to apply for a K1 visa and marry in the US, can i then stay there indefinately while i apply for AOS? Or would i have to return to England after the wedding to wait for my visa to be approved? I've tried to do independant research but there is so much information and I'm getting lost!

Thank you for your help!

I suggest you look at https://www.immihelp.com/usa-visas/k...rant-visa.html and decide what works the best for you.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Basically, I am a UK citizen and my boyfriend is a US citizen - I'm trying to figure out the easiest/fastest/cheapest way for us to marry and for me to join him in the US. We could potentially marry in England this March, and then file for a immediate relative spouse visa... OR we could file for a fiancee visa and i could fly to the US to marry him there. Which way would be recommended? If i was to apply for a K1 visa and marry in the US, can i then stay there indefinately while i apply for AOS? Or would i have to return to England after the wedding to wait for my visa to be approved? I've tried to do independant research but there is so much information and I'm getting lost!

Thank you for your help!
      Easiest, almost fastest, and definitely cheapest is the spouse visa CR1. But you would have to marry first.

If you marry in the UK, there is permission to be obtained first so that might slow you down. You could also fly to the US on VWP and marry then go home and start the spouse visa process. Or marry in Spain, Canada, anywhere that will marry you.

Or you could start the fiance visa process right away without working out getting a wedding done first. You stay in the UK for the process (just like the spouse visa). Once you have the visa and enter the US with it, you marry and apply for AOS. You are allowed to remain in the US until you get your greencard. You can't work, get a driver's license or leave the US for a few months. AOS costs almost $1100 and a bunch of paperwork.

The spouse visa (IR1/CR1) does not require AOS (or the fee). You are a permanent resident the day you enter on the visa. You can work and get a driver's license and travel freely back to the UK without obtaining further documents .
      Last edited by nichole; 02-10-2012, 09:31 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X