Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on Visa process and documentation required

Hello all!

I am going to the Mumbai consulate for my first H1B visa stamping and I have some confusion with the documentation that needs to be carried. I am currently in the US on an F1 visa and I will be transferring to an H1B and hence I had a friend of mine in India pay the visa fees for me. As far as I know, the following are the required documents to be carried:

1) I-797
    2) I-129
    3) Proof of employment (offer letter, responsibilities, pay stubs, W2)
    4) Academic documents (Degree, transcript, resume, EAD Card, I-20s)
    5) Passport size photos
    6) DS-160 with barcode printout

What I am reading is that some websites mention the following as required documents as well:

1) Form DS-156
    2) Form DS-157
    3) Original LCA

Are these required? What about proof of fee payment? I can see that my online appointment booking profile has the confirmation number that the bank gave me in the fee receipt but I don't have the actual receipt with me. Do I need to get it faxed to me?

Also, does anything need to be submitted to the consulate before the interview? I am planning to get an interview date the very next day after I land. Sending documents in would not be feasible in this case.

Please advise.

Thanks

I believe DS-160 replaced 156 and 157. Go through the website http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visaapply.asp

Originally posted by kne0 View Post
    Hello all!

I am going to the Mumbai consulate for my first H1B visa stamping and I have some confusion with the documentation that needs to be carried. I am currently in the US on an F1 visa and I will be transferring to an H1B and hence I had a friend of mine in India pay the visa fees for me. As far as I know, the following are the required documents to be carried:

1) I-797
    2) I-129
    3) Proof of employment (offer letter, responsibilities, pay stubs, W2)
    4) Academic documents (Degree, transcript, resume, EAD Card, I-20s)
    5) Passport size photos
    6) DS-160 with barcode printout

What I am reading is that some websites mention the following as required documents as well:

1) Form DS-156
    2) Form DS-157
    3) Original LCA

Are these required? What about proof of fee payment? I can see that my online appointment booking profile has the confirmation number that the bank gave me in the fee receipt but I don't have the actual receipt with me. Do I need to get it faxed to me?

Also, does anything need to be submitted to the consulate before the interview? I am planning to get an interview date the very next day after I land. Sending documents in would not be feasible in this case.

Please advise.

Thanks
    All posts/threads by me are my opinions only. I can not be held responsible for any action you take after reading my posts/threads.

Comment

Originally posted by bhavinbm View Post
      I believe DS-160 replaced 156 and 157. Go through the website http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visaapply.asp
      Damn... I completely forgot about the finger printing. Thanks for pointing it out! Any idea how long the wait is in Mumbai for the same?

EDIT: Do you know if this is a new requirement? My friends who got Visas earlier this year didn't get any finger printing.
      Last edited by kne0; 10-10-2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Damn... I completely forgot about the finger printing. Thanks for pointing it out! Any idea how long the wait is in Mumbai for the same?

EDIT: Do you know if this is a new requirement? My friends who got Visas earlier this year didn't get any finger printing.
        Yes, this is new. There used to be just one appointment for interview. Now you have to go to OFC for fingerprinting and then go to interview.
        All posts/threads by me are my opinions only. I can not be held responsible for any action you take after reading my posts/threads.

Comment

Yes, this is new. There used to be just one appointment for interview. Now you have to go to OFC for fingerprinting and then go to interview.
          Thanks bhavinbm. What about the document list that I have mentioned? Do I need the I-129 and the LCA in original? I would think they would be submitted to the USCIS, won't they?

Comment

Thanks bhavinbm. What about the document list that I have mentioned? Do I need the I-129 and the LCA in original? I would think they would be submitted to the USCIS, won't they?
            I am not sure if you even have I-129 and LCA in original. Do you? At least I don't have it with me.

Comment

I am not sure if you even have I-129 and LCA in original. Do you? At least I don't have it with me.
              Exactly my problem. I keep reading that those are required, but I don't have them.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X