H1b Visa application -- already in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1b Visa application -- already in US

So, I work for a large tech company in US and I got a job here after I graduated from college in US. I need to come home to India this December and need to get my H1b stamped. My employed had applied for my visa and it has been approved. So I have moved from F1 status to H1b status.

Can I go to any US consulate in India for my stamping?
    What kind of questions do they typically ask someone like me ?
    Is there something I should be cautious of ?

Originally posted by piyush.kumar View Post
    So, I work for a large tech company in US and I got a job here after I graduated from college in US. I need to come home to India this December and need to get my H1b stamped. My employed had applied for my visa and it has been approved. So I have moved from F1 status to H1b status.

Can I go to any US consulate in India for my stamping?
    What kind of questions do they typically ask someone like me ?
    Is there something I should be cautious of ?
    To answer some of your questions -

Yes, you HAVE TO go for visa stamping, as your new H1B doesnt have any yet. Without that you cannot enter US. Note, new process opens visa interview date 3 months ahead of time, and dates become unavailable fast (based on demand). So plan well ahead.

Generally in nonimmigrant visa interview they wanna verify the legitimacy of the job and your probability of coming back to home country. So they ask about your job, and also about your ties to home country.

If your employer is a publicly traded company, then I believe VO will not be too worried about your position. But if it's like a body-shop kind of company, where you actually work for some other company through 1 or more layers of 'contracting' companies, then the chance of getting visa stamping approved gets tougher.

Disclaimer: Not a legal advice, just my personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by abhishek78 View Post
      To answer some of your questions -

Yes, you HAVE TO go for visa stamping, as your new H1B doesnt have any yet. Without that you cannot enter US. Note, new process opens visa interview date 3 months ahead of time, and dates become unavailable fast (based on demand). So plan well ahead.

Generally in nonimmigrant visa interview they wanna verify the legitimacy of the job and your probability of coming back to home country. So they ask about your job, and also about your ties to home country.

If your employer is a publicly traded company, then I believe VO will not be too worried about your position. But if it's like a body-shop kind of company, where you actually work for some other company through 1 or more layers of 'contracting' companies, then the chance of getting visa stamping approved gets tougher.

Disclaimer: Not a legal advice, just my personal opinion.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do work for a top tech firm in the US and we are a public company. Can you or anyone else tell me if I can schedule my visa interview in any consulate or do I need to go to a specific one ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X