L1B to H1B COS - Please help (Urgent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1B to H1B COS - Please help (Urgent)

I am currently working in L1B visa and a new employer is applying L1B to H1B COS for me. I had an old H1B within last six years so they will be using that to file a cap exempt petition.

My question is when can I join the new company? The attorney representing the company is saying I need NOT wait for the approval but can join as soon as USCIS accepts the petition.(AC21 act or so).

I want your opinion about the legality of the above statement. Can AC21 used in my case since I am currently in L1B status. Also is it risky since if H1 gets denied I wont have L1/H1 and will be out of status.

Please help!

I believe AC21 is applicable in case of green card (like approved I-140). I believe what your attorney meant that you can start working as soon as USCIS issued a receipt notice for your petition, which is correct. And yes you're right, its a risk you'll be taking as receipt notice doesn't mean approval. However, you can ask your attorney/company to file the application under "premium processing" for which USCIS guarantees a response within 2 weeks. If you get a RFE (response for evidence), it also gets processed in two weeks after response is provided by the attorney's office. All in all, its very fast and costs $1225 and it's legal for the beneficiary (you) to pay the premium processing fees, if the company doesn't want to bear the cost.

Comment

So it is legal to start working after USCIS issues a receipt notice even though I am not in H1B status now? Some people say you need to be in H1 status currently to start working once receipt is generated.

Like you suggested, I am pushing them to apply Premium processing (I will bear the cost) and join only after approval. !

Originally posted by itsshanks View Post
      I believe AC21 is applicable in case of green card (like approved I-140). I believe what your attorney meant that you can start working as soon as USCIS issued a receipt notice for your petition, which is correct. And yes you're right, its a risk you'll be taking as receipt notice doesn't mean approval. However, you can ask your attorney/company to file the application under "premium processing" for which USCIS guarantees a response within 2 weeks. If you get a RFE (response for evidence), it also gets processed in two weeks after response is provided by the attorney's office. All in all, its very fast and costs $1225 and it's legal for the beneficiary (you) to pay the premium processing fees, if the company doesn't want to bear the cost.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X