Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Security Number (SSN) Delay

Hi...

I have an H1 Visa since October and have arrived in the country in early December. I immediately applied for a new SSN and was told that I should have it by the 20th. The receipt said that it usually takes up to 4 weeks.

These 4 weeks have now been elapsed and meanwhile the SSA office where I applied has been telling me that my application has not yet cleared with Homeland Security. As a matter of fact, yesterday they told me that they have sent 3 reminders to Homeland Security and received no answer thus far, which, according to them, is a sign that the application is not getting cleared.

Therefore, they (the local SSA office) told me that they will reject my application this Friday, having elapsed 30 days since I applied and no extension can be given.

I am a European, from a NATO country and, needless to say, without any suspicious activities or plans. The only thing that may have raised an alarm is that I have traveled a lot during the past 10 years, but that was on business and mostly within Europe.

Does anyone have (or knows of) a similar experience and suggestions on how I go about from here?

The local SSA office has told me that I can reapply, but is there any timing limitation or maximum number of times one could do so? Do Homeland Security allow for an interview to clear things?

Is there anything I could do to by Friday avoid having my SSN application rejected by the local SSA office?

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone! :-)

I discovered a potential cause of delay, i.e. my first name was spelled slightly differently (1 letter difference) in the I-797 form of the DHS, compared to everywhere else (passport, I-94, SSN application, etc.).

However, all other pieces of personal information on the I-797 are identical to the other documentation I have submitted.

Could such a small difference (1 letter in the first name) cause such a delay (5 weeks already)?

Originally posted by pns View Post
    Hi...

I have an H1 Visa since October and have arrived in the country in early December. I immediately applied for a new SSN and was told that I should have it by the 20th. The receipt said that it usually takes up to 4 weeks.

These 4 weeks have now been elapsed and meanwhile the SSA office where I applied has been telling me that my application has not yet cleared with Homeland Security. As a matter of fact, yesterday they told me that they have sent 3 reminders to Homeland Security and received no answer thus far, which, according to them, is a sign that the application is not getting cleared.

Therefore, they (the local SSA office) told me that they will reject my application this Friday, having elapsed 30 days since I applied and no extension can be given.

I am a European, from a NATO country and, needless to say, without any suspicious activities or plans. The only thing that may have raised an alarm is that I have traveled a lot during the past 10 years, but that was on business and mostly within Europe.

Does anyone have (or knows of) a similar experience and suggestions on how I go about from here?

The local SSA office has told me that I can reapply, but is there any timing limitation or maximum number of times one could do so? Do Homeland Security allow for an interview to clear things?

Is there anything I could do to by Friday avoid having my SSN application rejected by the local SSA office?

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone! :-)

Comment

Yes, incorrect or inconsistent name is specially problematic in SSN applications.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

This is really strange, for just 1 letter of the first name and with all other documentation consistent. Even stranger, they never seem to tell you or ask you to provide verification.

Anyway, I called the Department of Homeland Security (the relevant agency is USCIS), provided the I-797 receipt code, answered the security questions and they accepted the correction over the phone.

They also told me that it takes 1-2 weeks for the change to be updated, so the next move will be to ask the SSA office to send them a reminder quoting specifically the correction, just in case things can be accelerated.

Thanks for the reply. :-)

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
        Yes, incorrect or inconsistent name is specially problematic in SSN applications.
        Last edited by pns; 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Social Security Number

Obtain Brand new Social Security Number for you .You can receive a new SCN/CPN which can be used to start a new clean credit fileUses For A SCN/CPNYou can use your new SCN Number for anything that would normally require credit reporting purposes.​Use to get Bank Accounts,credit cards, personal loans, Auto loans, apartments, utilities, cable, cell phones, etc. However,​This number does not replace your social security number and should not be used for any government purposes such as but not limited to: Military, Child support, DSS, Income/SSI, Taxes, FHA, VA, or any government backed funding.​

Comment

SSN status

Did you finally get SSN? What is the reason for delay ?

I am in similar situation today.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X