Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating Work status / Visa details for SSN

Hello,

I had travelled to USA in August 2012 on L2 visa status and returned to my home country in Dec 2012 for my H1-B visa stamping. I had applied and obtained SSN and EAD card while I was in L2 visa.
    I will be re-entering USA on H1-B status now in Jan 2013 and working for my employer on H1-B visa/work permit status.

Is my SSN linked to my visa type and do I need to update the work status / visa details for my SSN? If yes, could anyone please share the details regarding this or provide me a web link where I can find the information?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,
    Sahana Nadig

Originally posted by Sahana View Post
    Hello,

I had travelled to USA in August 2012 on L2 visa status and returned to my home country in Dec 2012 for my H1-B visa stamping. I had applied and obtained SSN and EAD card while I was in L2 visa.
    I will be re-entering USA on H1-B status now in Jan 2013 and working for my employer on H1-B visa/work permit status.

Is my SSN linked to my visa type and do I need to update the work status / visa details for my SSN? If yes, could anyone please share the details regarding this or provide me a web link where I can find the information?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,
    Sahana Nadig
    Didnt you put your SSN number while filling the DS-160 for H1B stamping?

Even if you didnt, you can use the same SSN to open the bank account, and provide to your new employer for W2/W4/Payroll. No need to do anything extra.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      Didnt you put your SSN number while filling the DS-160 for H1B stamping?

Even if you didnt, you can use the same SSN to open the bank account, and provide to your new employer for W2/W4/Payroll. No need to do anything extra.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
      Thank you Raghvi ! I have mentioned my SSN in the DS-160 when I appeared for H1-B Visa interview. Will that suffice?

Comment

You can use the same SSN.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X