Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B2 visa, awaiting B2 extension approval, how do I change status to H-1B or E-3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visa, awaiting B2 extension approval, how do I change status to H-1B or E-3?

Hi,

I am currently in the USA and have been offered a professional job, which I am yet to take.
    I came here on a B2 visa and am currently awaiting approval for my petition to extend my B2 status. My original departure date occurs today, however, I was advised by the relevant department that because I submitted my petition to extend my B2 status within an acceptable amount of time before my departure date (well over 8 weeks ago now) that I am permitted to stay up to 240 days or until I am advised of permission or refusual of my extension, that I am lawfully able to stay here while I wait for the answer.

What I would like to know now is:
    - Should I submit an application to change my status to a work visa now (either H-1B or E-3), or is it best to wait until the current petition is approved?
    - If the B2 extension is denied (very low risk but I understand it is a possibility), does that mean I have overstayed unlawfully and that I will be denied a work visa in future?
    - If I submit an application to change status to either H-1B or E-3 (I'm an Australian professional), must I leave the country and come back in regardless of whether it is lodged now while I am out of status or once my status is approved?
    - Would submitting the work visa petition result in confusing my current application to extend my B2 status or is it acceptable to lodge a change of status application now?

Re. my situation, I am an Australian citizen with extensive professional experience and a bachelor degree relating specifically to the role I am being offered, so I am confident that my work non-immigrant work visa would be approved.

Please help! I appreciate the advice. Please note I've also posted this in B2 and E forum as I wasn't sure which was more appropriate.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X