X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Confused - H1B or L1?

Dear Friends,

I have a question regarding H1-B/L1.

My husband is currently on H1-B and his visa is good till end of 2014. He will be completing 6 yrs in 2014. He is trying hard to get into a B-School for a full time MBA. At that time he is planning to convert his h1-b to f1. What are his chances of getting an f1 after one year? Once he is done with the school, can he get back to his remaining H1-B time? What is the procedure for that? I am sure that the remaining h1-b time won’t be more than 7-8 months. His employer is also processing GC for him. So can he continue his GC filing while he is studying? (He is working for an Indian staffing company - under EVC model)

I am living in India and trying to get a work visa through my employer. My employer is ready to sponsor me H1-B or L1 based on what i need. Which one is good for me? I was thinking about H1-B because I can switch to different employers. But at the same time, I am also concerned about my husband. If I get an L1 and if something happens to my husband's visa, can he work as my dependent in L2? I am not sure if he can continue in L2 after the end of his H1 term. Is that possible?

Thanks,
    Ann

Originally posted by AnnThomas View Post
    Dear Friends,

I have a question regarding H1-B/L1.

My husband is currently on H1-B and his visa is good till end of 2014. He will be completing 6 yrs in 2014. He is trying hard to get into a B-School for a full time MBA. At that time he is planning to convert his h1-b to f1. What are his chances of getting an f1 after one year? Once he is done with the school, can he get back to his remaining H1-B time? What is the procedure for that? I am sure that the remaining h1-b time won’t be more than 7-8 months. His employer is also processing GC for him. So can he continue his GC filing while he is studying? (He is working for an Indian staffing company - under EVC model)

I am living in India and trying to get a work visa through my employer. My employer is ready to sponsor me H1-B or L1 based on what i need. Which one is good for me? I was thinking about H1-B because I can switch to different employers. But at the same time, I am also concerned about my husband. If I get an L1 and if something happens to my husband's visa, can he work as my dependent in L2? I am not sure if he can continue in L2 after the end of his H1 term. Is that possible?

Thanks,
    Ann
    You moving to L1 would be a good option as your spouse can continue to work on L2 after getting an EAD even if his 6 Years of H1 have been completed. But getting L1 is not as easy as getting an H1.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

H1B to L2

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      You moving to L1 would be a good option as your spouse can continue to work on L2 after getting an EAD even if his 6 Years of H1 have been completed. But getting L1 is not as easy as getting an H1.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I needed one clarification. If my husband is in L2, after completing 6 years of H1B, how many more years can he work in US with a L2 visa status?. As long as I have an L1? OR Are their any cap for people moving from H1B to L2?.

Thanks
      Ann

Comment

Originally posted by AnnThomas View Post
        Thanks a lot for your reply. I needed one clarification. If my husband is in L2, after completing 6 years of H1B, how many more years can he work in US with a L2 visa status?. As long as I have an L1? OR Are their any cap for people moving from H1B to L2?.

Thanks
        Ann
        As long as you are on valid L1 and associated I-94. Time spent on L2/H4 time is not added to time spent in H1 status.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X