Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 221g Toronto H1B Stamping Experience

Hi Guys,

Here is how my F1-H1B Change of Status interview went. I had my interview on April8th, 2013 at Toronto Consulate. I had all the necessary documents and I am working as a permanent full time employee for my current company. I also have a Masters degree in Computer Engineering from a reputed university in the US. Here is how the interview was

VO: Good Morning.
    Me: Good Morning. How are you?
    VO: I am good. Thanks. How long have you been working for your current company
    Me: Have been working since ***.(I had been working for more than 2 years btw)
    VO: What is your job title?
    Me: Told him the title.
    VO: What is your highest degree
    Me: I have a masters degree in Computer Engineering from so and so university
    VO: Did you do a masters thesis/research
    Me. Yes. I did my thesis in Artificial Intelligence.
    VO: "Oh Artificial Intelligence". He asked me if I had a resume
    Me: I said sure. Handed over my resume.
    VO: kept typing something. and gave me the dreaded Yellow 221g form.
    VO: Everything looks good. However we need to do some admin level processing which might take 1-2 weeks.
    Me: WOW 2 Weeks. Do I need to submit more documents?
    VO: No we dont need anything from you. Sometimes it can take even more than 2 weeks. It might take 2-3 weeks
    Me: Can I know the reason for admin level processing?
    VO: I don't know the reason. The system won't let me complete your case.
    Me: Thank you and walked out with the yellow 221g.

So this was my experience guys. I have 2 doubts as to why I might have got 221g.
    1. My thesis topic is in TAL list and the officer wanted to send it for approval to Washington DC. This I came to know only after I got my 221g. Had I known before, I would have explained my entire thesis rather than saying i did my thesis in Artificial Intelligence. Sometimes people say keep your answers short. So I kept it to the point. May be it back fired on me.
    2. Another lady from my office went for her H1B interview and had issues with PIMS verification. I might have had the same issue too.

Other than these 2 reason I cant think of anything else. I am now stuck in Canada indefinitely waiting for an email from the consulate.

I too was given a 221g yellow form exactly a week ago. This is actually my third stamping ;second with the same employer. The visa officer asked standard questions and told me I needed Administrative Processing. There were three other gentlemen who got 221g same day.

From what I have read in other posts most people have gotten responses within 3 weeks who were held in Toronto.

Hang in there.

Good luck

Comment

Yea seems like it can take 3 weeks..Hopefully it wont take longer than that. Getting stuck in Canada seems to be a pain. I applied for just a single entry visa and so cant fly back to my home country either. Just praying and praying..

Comment

Hi H1btdot, have you heard back from the embassy yet? please keep me posted. Were you also asked questions related to your masters thesis?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by H1btdot View Post
        I too was given a 221g yellow form exactly a week ago. This is actually my third stamping ;second with the same employer. The visa officer asked standard questions and told me I needed Administrative Processing. There were three other gentlemen who got 221g same day.

From what I have read in other posts most people have gotten responses within 3 weeks who were held in Toronto.

Hang in there.

Good luck
        Hi H1btdot, have you heard back from the embassy yet? please keep me posted. Were you also asked questions related to your masters thesis?

Comment

Originally posted by josephsn View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry i have no updates as of yet. I do not have a masters degree.any progress on your end??!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Here is how my F1-H1B Change of Status interview went. I had my interview on April8th, 2013 at Toronto Consulate. I had all the necessary documents and I am working as a permanent full time employee for my current company. I also have a Masters degree in Computer Engineering from a reputed university in the US. Here is how the interview was

VO: Good Morning.
            Me: Good Morning. How are you?
            VO: I am good. Thanks. How long have you been working for your current company
            Me: Have been working since ***.(I had been working for more than 2 years btw)
            VO: What is your job title?
            Me: Told him the title.
            VO: What is your highest degree
            Me: I have a masters degree in Computer Engineering from so and so university
            VO: Did you do a masters thesis/research
            Me. Yes. I did my thesis in Artificial Intelligence.
            VO: "Oh Artificial Intelligence". He asked me if I had a resume
            Me: I said sure. Handed over my resume.
            VO: kept typing something. and gave me the dreaded Yellow 221g form.
            VO: Everything looks good. However we need to do some admin level processing which might take 1-2 weeks.
            Me: WOW 2 Weeks. Do I need to submit more documents?
            VO: No we dont need anything from you. Sometimes it can take even more than 2 weeks. It might take 2-3 weeks
            Me: Can I know the reason for admin level processing?
            VO: I don't know the reason. The system won't let me complete your case.
            Me: Thank you and walked out with the yellow 221g.

So this was my experience guys. I have 2 doubts as to why I might have got 221g.
            1. My thesis topic is in TAL list and the officer wanted to send it for approval to Washington DC. This I came to know only after I got my 221g. Had I known before, I would have explained my entire thesis rather than saying i did my thesis in Artificial Intelligence. Sometimes people say keep your answers short. So I kept it to the point. May be it back fired on me.
            2. Another lady from my office went for her H1B interview and had issues with PIMS verification. I might have had the same issue too.

Other than these 2 reason I cant think of anything else. I am now stuck in Canada indefinitely waiting for an email from the consulate.
            Hello josephsn
            Any update on your case? Did you hear from US Embassy. My case is too under TAL admin processing. Its close to 3 weeks now.
            Thanks

Comment

Sorry i have no updates as of yet. I do not have a masters degree.any progress on your end??!
              No updates on my end either..This is my 3rd week. It should be the 4th week for you, right?

Comment

Originally posted by pmpm View Post
                Hello josephsn
                Any update on your case? Did you hear from US Embassy. My case is too under TAL admin processing. Its close to 3 weeks now.
                Thanks

On what date was your interview? This is the 3rd week of waiting for me. What was your Masters degree on and what was the thesis topic on? Or is your current job TAL related? Did the visa officer tell you its because of TAL or are you suspecting that way? Did you get a yellow 221g? Not sure what those colors mean anyway. Some people say yellow represents background check on the employer. I am a full time employee and no EVC or anything. So not sure whats going on
                Last edited by josephsn; 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

On what date was your interview? This is the 3rd week of waiting for me. What was your Masters degree on and what was the thesis topic on? Or is your current job TAL related? Did the visa officer tell you its because of TAL or are you suspecting that way? Did you get a yellow 221g? Not sure what those colors mean anyway. Some people say yellow represents background check on the employer. I am a full time employee and no EVC or anything. So not sure whats going on
                  Interview date: 4th April
                  Embassy: Ottawa
                  My masters as well as Current project (job) is in Biotech. VO said, we need further reviewing on your research work (so m suspecting it could be TAL related). My 221G is blue and do not list any document or anything. Just a box checked by VO saying admin. processing.
                  Keep posted
                  Last edited by pmpm; 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

My masters as well as Current project (job) is in Biotech. VO said, we need further reviewing on your research work (so m suspecting it could be TAL related). My 221G is blue and do not list any document or anything. Just a box checked by VO saying admin. processing.
                    Keep posted

Ah gotcha...the officer did not tell me any reason. I am glad you were at least given a reason. Well seems like the only option right now would be to wait patiently. The colors of the 221g form also seem to vary based on the consulate. Also there have been people who have got their clearance email in 17 days. So I think it can be anytime soon for us too. So gotto wait and see. Keep me posted if you hear anything from the consulate and I shall do the same.

Comment

Keep posted
                      Hey also what all documents did the VO keep with him? For me it was I797 original and my resume.

Comment

Hey also what all documents did the VO keep with him? For me it was I797 original and my resume.
                        Just resume.
                        Its 3 weeks today

Comment

Just resume.
                          Its 3 weeks today
                          Dont worry buddy. I understand its painful, but relax as you wait. Time seems to move faster if you relax

Comment

hey did you hear back? it must be more than 1 month of waiting for you right?

Comment

hey did you hear back? it must be more than 1 month of waiting for you right?
                              Nope.. No updates as of now. Its just over a month for me now..ill make sure to inform you guys as soon as i get any updates

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X