Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get SSN after H1B transfered with new employer

Hello,

I have a stamped H1B valid until Sept 2015. However I never traveled on H1B due to lack of opportunity at the organization "X" who filled my H1B.
    Now I have found an opportunity with another organization "Y" and have initiated H1B transfer with them while I am in India.

My Question is -

Upon transfer, what do I need to do to apply for SSN ? Will the new employer take care of SSN as they would need the same for processing salary or I need to take care of SSN my self and be unpaid as long as I do not receive my SSN.

Thanks.

Originally posted by smaji101 View Post
    Hello,

I have a stamped H1B valid until Sept 2015. However I never traveled on H1B due to lack of opportunity at the organization "X" who filled my H1B.
    Now I have found an opportunity with another organization "Y" and have initiated H1B transfer with them while I am in India.

My Question is -

Upon transfer, what do I need to do to apply for SSN ? Will the new employer take care of SSN as they would need the same for processing salary or I need to take care of SSN my self and be unpaid as long as I do not receive my SSN.

Thanks.
    You will not be unpaid. Companies are usually aware that an SSN application will take several weeks.

You can apply for a new SSN when you are in the U.S. and have a valid I-94. The social security office does not care about you working for company a,b,c or d. All they care about is whether or not you have a valid work authorization and have valid immigration status.

Beware that there is a 10 day window between your arrival (stamping of your I-94) and the electronic processing of the paperwork.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X