Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B First time Stamping

Hello,
    I completed my masters in Dec 2007 and Company A applied for my H1B in april 2008. I received an approval and my H1B started from Oct 2008. In May 2010, I got back to student status and continued on F1 till July 2011. My current employer applied for my H1B in April 2012 and I got an approval from July 2012 - July 2013.

( They applied for the remaining 1.5 years on the 2008 Approval ).......

The company has applied for a renewal of my H1B this year and I am hopeful to get the approval notice by july.

My question is...

Can I get my stamping done in Canada or do I have to get the stamping in India..... Confusion is that this will be my first time stamping of the H1B and that it is a renewal...

Any help in this regard will be great.

Thank you

This is what the Canadian Embassy states:

Consular officers in Canada may refuse to issue a visa to H-1B applicants if their education and/or work experience is solely or predominantly from a country other than the U.S. or Canada.
    Consular officers in Canada may refuse to issue a visa to first-time H1B applicants if the applicant's education and/or work experience is solely or predominantly from a country other than the United States or Canada. In the absence of U.S. or Canadian education or work experience, we strongly encourage you to apply from your country of residence.[/I][/B]

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for the reply Raghvi.... and yes I am not treating this as a legal advice. I would also like to mention that my employment has been predominantly in the US. I worked in India for a year and moved to the states in 2006. For the current employer, I have been working for close to 2 years now. I started my second degree and am almost about to complete the same. In this sense, I guess I should not have issues with respect to stamping. My quandary is that since this is a renewal (and I had not got my earlier approval stamped since I never left the US), Would this be a cause for concern.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Darshan View Post
        Thank you for the reply Raghvi.... and yes I am not treating this as a legal advice. I would also like to mention that my employment has been predominantly in the US. I worked in India for a year and moved to the states in 2006. For the current employer, I have been working for close to 2 years now. I started my second degree and am almost about to complete the same. In this sense, I guess I should not have issues with respect to stamping. My quandary is that since this is a renewal (and I had not got my earlier approval stamped since I never left the US), Would this be a cause for concern.

Thanks
        Where did you do your Pre Masters education (15 Year/16 Year)? There is no rule written anywhere, but I would say being predominantly in US during masters and subsequent work it should help get stamping done in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
          Where did you do your Pre Masters education (15 Year/16 Year)? There is no rule written anywhere, but I would say being predominantly in US during masters and subsequent work it should help get stamping done in Canada.

My Bachelor Degree is from India and 1st Masters (Completed - 2 Years) is from USA. My 2nd Masters is on hold since I changed my status from F1 to H1 last year.

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X