Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Immigration reform allow H1-b visas to be extended past 6 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Immigration reform allow H1-b visas to be extended past 6 years?

My 6 years of H1-B status ends December 31st and I haven't begun applying for a green card yet. Will the immigration reform currently being proposed in congress allow me to extend my H1-B visa past 6 years? Is there any other way I can continue working for my company once this H1-B expires?

Originally posted by forthiola View Post
    My 6 years of H1-B status ends December 31st and I haven't begun applying for a green card yet. Will the immigration reform currently being proposed in congress allow me to extend my H1-B visa past 6 years? Is there any other way I can continue working for my company once this H1-B expires?
    As far as I have read there is no such provision, it might become easier for people who have stayed/studied in US for a long time to get a GC faster though. And as it is its still to become a law which I dont see happening before Dec 2013.

As the law stands currently in order for you to stay beyond 6th year the GC has to filed before 5th Year ends.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if there is any way for me to stay in the country and continue working in my current job?

Comment

Originally posted by forthiola View Post
        Thanks for your reply. Do you know if there is any way for me to stay in the country and continue working in my current job?
        Staying and working beyond 6th Year without earlier GC filing done in a timely manner I dont see many other options. If your spouse is on L1 you could have moved to L2 and worked.

You can plan to move to F1 too but for that you will have to join a valid course and get the H1 to F1 COS approved.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Don't think about immigration reform. It is very far from becoming a law.
          This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X