Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B to start in 2013

Hi,

If I can get an employer to sponsor me on a H1B, can I start right away in 2013? Do they process/sort it out for me or do I need to get a lawyer and do it myself? Just wondering what each party has to do.

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by sergio3 View Post
    Hi,

If I can get an employer to sponsor me on a H1B, can I start right away in 2013? Do they process/sort it out for me or do I need to get a lawyer and do it myself? Just wondering what each party has to do.

Thanks for your help!
    If you plan to work for non profit organization you probably can get h1 in 2013. Otherwise if it is a fresh H1 then the quota is already over for this year.The earliest you can get on H1 is 01-Oct-2014.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks, so it is impossible for company to sponsor me to work for them this year unless its a non-profit? Can you please confirm if this is correct:

The H1B cap was met for 2013 and they have decided who will have all the H1Bs this year. More people applied than there were H1Bs so the had a lottery and assigned the H1Bs to the lucky people. People that didn't win the lottery have no other options. Non-profits are excluded from this cap and it is possible to get a H1B this way.

Are there any other work visa options to look at or am I totally out of luck if I want to work for a for-profit company in 2013?

You have been really helpful, thanks again
      Last edited by sergio3; 07-17-2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sergio3 View Post
        Hi,

Thanks for your help!
        The employer should do so. And its illegal to pay the employer any fees for the same.

As I said the quota for H1 is already over, if you can get a not for profit organization to sponsor your H1 you can begin in 2013. i.e. If Your employer belongs to the category of :higher education or related or affiliated nonprofit entities, nonprofit research organizations or governmental research organizations.

Also, if you ever want to move from non-profit to for-profit, you will be again subjected to cap.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

I really appreciate your input! Could I ask how much it would cost a non-profit to sponsor me for a H1B? I'm trying to gauge how difficult it would be to go this route

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X