Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 to H4 conversion at the consulate.

Hi,

I am currently on H1 visa and working in US. So is my husband. We will be going to India for stamping in November. I would like to get a H4 visa at the consulate. My questions are...

1. Is it ok if I am leaving the country on a H1 visa and applying for H4 at the consulate in India directly?
    2. Can I go with my husband on the day of appointment or we should be taking 2 different appointments?
    3. What options should I select in DS-160? should I be picking the visa category as H4? I have never filled a H4 ds-160 I don't know If I should keep any thing else in mind while filling it out, considering my scenario...
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    4. Will there be any additional questions asked if I am converting from H1 to H4?

Thank you so much for the help.
    srmp

Originally posted by srmp View Post
    Hi,

I am currently on H1 visa and working in US. So is my husband. We will be going to India for stamping in November. I would like to get a H4 visa at the consulate. My questions are...

1. Is it ok if I am leaving the country on a H1 visa and applying for H4 at the consulate in India directly? -- Yes, both are unrelated.
    2. Can I go with my husband on the day of appointment or we should be taking 2 different appointments? -- It makes no difference, together is preferred.
    3. What options should I select in DS-160? should I be picking the visa category as H4? I have never filled a H4 ds-160 I don't know If I should keep any thing else in mind while filling it out, considering my scenario... -- Yes, there will be an option to select H4
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    4. Will there be any additional questions asked if I am converting from H1 to H4? -- There is no conversion, once you leave the US the past status makes no difference.

Thank you so much for the help.
    srmp
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much.That was very helpful.

Comment

hi,

I have a same scenario as mentioned below, however while I was on H1B I didn't worked for around 150 - 160 days due to feeding issues for my 1 yr old and his inability to get adjusted to daycare system. So I put sick leave at my employer and after that I have always worked continuously (for over 3 years) while on H1B till I left US and have W2 and salary slips till that time, so now if I go for H4 stamping with my husband then should I be worried about my H4 stamping due to the time I didnt worked while on H1B? Please note I never crossed 180 days limit. Please advise.

Comment

That will not be a problem. The 180 day limit applies to illegal period not out of status period. Moreover, leave without pay for genuine, documented reasons is allowed.
          This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
            That will not be a problem. The 180 day limit applies to illegal period not out of status period. Moreover, leave without pay for genuine, documented reasons is allowed.
            Ok, thank u so much for responding.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X