Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Help on Visa Extension

Hi,

I am in US now. My H1B visa is expiring on March 2014 and i need to renew it. I am planning to submit renewal
    application from October 2013 as i can apply before 6 months for renewal of H1B.But the problem is my passport expire on May 2014 now

1) Is there a problem that i will get visa extension till May 2014 only since my passport is expiring in May 2014.
    I have normally heard that visa extension doesnt depend on Passport validity .I am planning to come back to India once my visa is renewed.
    2) I have been in US for 2 years. How many years extension will I normally get. What is the time frame for renewal.

Urgent Help on Visa Extension

I am here on same boat but I have applied for passport renewal from here. The normal process would take 6-8 weeks and you can apply for your H1 extension once after you receive your passport.

Comment

1. For filing the extension petition and applying for Visa, your passport need not be renewed. But since you have so much time on hand, it is better if you get it renewed before your employer files the petition. The problem will arise after extension, when you travel abroad and return, your I-94 will match the Passport expiry even if that is earlier than petition expiry.

2. You are eligible for a total of 6 years in the US in H1+L1 status. Petition can be approved for a maximum of 3 years at one time.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X