Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to your US Property (home) after H1B is terminated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to your US Property (home) after H1B is terminated?

If you own a home and are currently on an H1B visa, what would happen to your US home (which you purchased while on H1B) if you were to get fired in the following two situation:

1. If you have already fully paid-off the home....do you continue to legally own the property?

2. If you have NOT fully paid-off the home and thus, are currently paying your monthly mortgage....can you continue to pay the mortgage from your home country (assuming you leave the US)

Any insight would be appreciated.

If it matters, I am in Washington State

Originally posted by TD98122 View Post
    If you own a home and are currently on an H1B visa, what would happen to your US home (which you purchased while on H1B) if you were to get fired in the following two situation:

1. If you have already fully paid-off the home....do you continue to legally own the property?

2. If you have NOT fully paid-off the home and thus, are currently paying your monthly mortgage....can you continue to pay the mortgage from your home country (assuming you leave the US)

Any insight would be appreciated.

If it matters, I am in Washington State
    Seems more of tax/estate related question than an immigration one. But I would assume that nothing would change. As long as you are able to pay tax and do maintenance on the property even if not being present in US I doubt banks care much.

There surely will be legalities to follow if you sell it and want to take money back to India. Similarly, if you rent it you will need to pay tax on the rental income.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X