Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling India while H1 Transfer is in Progress

Hi All,

I changed my employer and started working for new employer based on H1 receipt number.

H1 transfer was filed in Premium and i got the RFE for client letter. My employer is going to respond to RFE in a day or two.

I have a valid VISA stamp from my previous employer till next year. I have to urgently travel to India for couple of weeks.

Is it ok to travel when H1 transfer is still in progress; based on my previous employer's visa? Will there be problem if the H1 transfer is still not approved when i re-enter US?

One article on the internet as shown below says, you can travel when H1 transfer is pending.

Travel While a Petition is Pending for a Change of H-1B Employer
    An H1B nonimmigrant employee is permitted to port their H1B visa to another company, pursuant the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000 (“AC-21″) upon the filing of an 1-129 petition for the subsequent employer.
    Under this scenario, the H1B employee is permitted to travel on the previously issued visa, where they can show:
    1) they are otherwise admissible to the U.S.;
    2) they are in possession of a valid unexpired passport and visa, including a visa endorsed with the name of their previous employer as petitioner;
    3) they can show that they have previously been admitted in H1B status; and
    4) they are in possession of the Form 1-797 receipt notice showing that a new petition has been timely filed.
    The new petition is not a substitute for a valid visa.

Originally posted by sanaths81 View Post
    Hi All,

I changed my employer and started working for new employer based on H1 receipt number.

H1 transfer was filed in Premium and i got the RFE for client letter. My employer is going to respond to RFE in a day or two.

I have a valid VISA stamp from my previous employer till next year. I have to urgently travel to India for couple of weeks.

Is it ok to travel when H1 transfer is still in progress; based on my previous employer's visa? Will there be problem if the H1 transfer is still not approved when i re-enter US?

One article on the internet as shown below says, you can travel when H1 transfer is pending.

Travel While a Petition is Pending for a Change of H-1B Employer
    An H1B nonimmigrant employee is permitted to port their H1B visa to another company, pursuant the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000 (“AC-21″) upon the filing of an 1-129 petition for the subsequent employer.
    Under this scenario, the H1B employee is permitted to travel on the previously issued visa, where they can show:
    1) they are otherwise admissible to the U.S.;
    2) they are in possession of a valid unexpired passport and visa, including a visa endorsed with the name of their previous employer as petitioner;
    3) they can show that they have previously been admitted in H1B status; and
    4) they are in possession of the Form 1-797 receipt notice showing that a new petition has been timely filed.
    The new petition is not a substitute for a valid visa.
    Technically you can, but when you return your new I-94 will be according to the old visa. So if the current visa is expiring say in June 2014 then you will be given I-94 only till June 2014, and subsequently you will have to file another extension later on.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

i am exactly in the same situation , could you please advise ...? i posted a question in ******** as well , awaiting for their response

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X