Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B visa

Hello!

This is my first post here! I have a question regarding to the H1B visa.

I came to US for studying at a graduate school but got an H1B status by my Chinese bachelor degree this year. The reason I used my bachelor degree is because my current company is in computer field but my master degree is in arts. So I have to use my business bachelor degree if I want to keep working here. I am planning to go back China for a vacation, which is going to be my first time after I came to US. I am wondering if there is anything that I need to be attention to when I met the Visa Official? Especially since I applied H1B via my bachelor degree. Not sure if that will be a problem? I am afraid if the officer will find out this fact and hold my visa. Anyone may know? Thanks a lot!

byct1

Originally posted by byct1 View Post
    Hello!

This is my first post here! I have a question regarding to the H1B visa.

I came to US for studying at a graduate school but got an H1B status by my Chinese bachelor degree this year. The reason I used my bachelor degree is because my current company is in computer field but my master degree is in arts. So I have to use my business bachelor degree if I want to keep working here. I am planning to go back China for a vacation, which is going to be my first time after I came to US. I am wondering if there is anything that I need to be attention to when I met the Visa Official? Especially since I applied H1B via my bachelor degree. Not sure if that will be a problem? I am afraid if the officer will find out this fact and hold my visa. Anyone may know? Thanks a lot!

byct1
    Hello, Byct1.

For H1B, ofcourse your education matters, but the number 1 thing is the company sponsoring you. So, if a company finds you good enough to offer you sponsorship then having a Masters in Arts would not have weakened your case. The best thing is to be truthful if them because whenever you are hiding something, you have to remember, whereas something which is true need not be.

Now, my question to you, in the American records somewhere you stayed in US on student visa when you were studying for Masters, right? How will you justify this time period (in USA), if asked by the visa officer in China.

What you can also do is, at the time of taking the appointment, you could mention having a Masters degree, and if questioned (only if questioned, do not volunteer any information) about earlier application, you could say you did not realize that you had not provided details of your Masters degree. H1B is a strong visa as there is an employer in the United States backing / sponsoring your petition.

Anyway, i hope this helps. If you can pull it off (not disclosing your Masters), great. Else, you could say you accidentally mentioned Bachelors (you will have to pretend that you did not realize).

I hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X