Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorced and Remarriage: H1B and H4. DS160 Questions

Hello,

I'm on H1B. I got divorced in the US in 2012. Now I intend to remarry later this month in India and want to sponsor my spouse-to-be on H4. When I filled out my DS160, I selected my marital status as Divorced and provided all the details of my ex-wife and about my divorce.

My spouse-to-be is also divorced. When she is filling her DS160, if she selects her Marital Status as Divorced, the system isn't letting her specify me as the primary applicant for her H4.

I have read in a couple of other forums that since her H4 is based on our marriage (scheduled for later this month), she can specify her Marital Status as Married and proceed to provide my details as the primary applicant in her DS160.

Is this the preferred approach?

Also, I have already scheduled my visa interview for the first week of December. She's in the process of filling her DS160 now and will try to schedule her visa interview around the same dates as mine. We aren't sure if we will travel together. Is it recommended for her to appear for her interview separately? We will have all our documents in order like our divorce decrees, new marriage registration, wedding album etc.

Would greatly appreciate any advice and tips from people familiar with this situation.

Thanks,

Divorced and Remarriage

Hi

I am in the same boat, I plan to go for stamping in december and remarry. But here is what I plan to do, since I a going for my stamping first before my remarriage, I have keyed in Divorce status in DS 160 and it then required details of my ex spouse.

However after marriage when my new spouse will go for interview, I plan to fill her DS160 with status as married, that way I will be the principal and she the dependent, since when she goes for interview she is married the status needs to be married while filling DS 160, it is then upto the embassy to ask questions of her previous marriage if need be.

Kindly share you experience as you mentioned u are planning to go for stamping in November 2013, will highly appreciate it.

Comment

Divorce and H4 visa

Hi

Did your wife get the H4 visa, just thought will check with you.

Originally posted by mpmenon View Post
      Hi

I am in the same boat, I plan to go for stamping in december and remarry. But here is what I plan to do, since I a going for my stamping first before my remarriage, I have keyed in Divorce status in DS 160 and it then required details of my ex spouse.

However after marriage when my new spouse will go for interview, I plan to fill her DS160 with status as married, that way I will be the principal and she the dependent, since when she goes for interview she is married the status needs to be married while filling DS 160, it is then upto the embassy to ask questions of her previous marriage if need be.

Kindly share you experience as you mentioned u are planning to go for stamping in November 2013, will highly appreciate it.
      - - - Updated - - -

Hi

Did your wife get the H4 visa

thanks

Comment

Hi There, could you please share your update? I am in the same boat.
        Please.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X