Live in nanny/housekeeper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live in nanny/housekeeper?

Hello everyone! My wife's friend is here visiting from Mexico. She has been an Au Pair previously, earned an Associates degree here in the US and a degree in Mexico too and has had a J Visa previously. If she wanted to stay here to work, what visa would she apply for? We have two kids so she could be our live in nanny and housekeeper. She does have a social security card too, although it says "Valid for work with DHS authorization". She has some English teaching certifications too as she teaches English in Mexico. We just need some general direction on where to go from here. Also, I'm in the US Army, not sure if that changes anything.

If your wife's friend is here on a visitor visa, she may be able to convert her status to a caretaker-type visa (don't know the class, but the option is available). But if she is here undocumented, there is no such conversion option for her. IF her previous J1 had a "2-year exit" requirement, she must have proof of that status being satisfied.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Batt1eRatt1e View Post
    Hello everyone! My wife's friend is here visiting from Mexico. She has been an Au Pair previously, earned an Associates degree here in the US and a degree in Mexico too and has had a J Visa previously. If she wanted to stay here to work, what visa would she apply for? We have two kids so she could be our live in nanny and housekeeper. She does have a social security card too, although it says "Valid for work with DHS authorization". She has some English teaching certifications too as she teaches English in Mexico. We just need some general direction on where to go from here. Also, I'm in the US Army, not sure if that changes anything.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      If your wife's friend is here on a visitor visa, she may be able to convert her status to a caretaker-type visa (don't know the class, but the option is available). But if she is here undocumented, there is no such conversion option for her. IF her previous J1 had a "2-year exit" requirement, she must have proof of that status being satisfied.

--Ray B
      Yes she is currently here on a visitor visa which expires in May. For her J1, she stayed here the full amount of time, 12 months as an Au Pair. She actually got invited by the family to come back as they wanted to pay for her to get an Associates degree in the US. She came on a visitor visa and got a student visa while she was enrolling in college.

Comment

I know this forum doesn't have as many users as this other one, but put simply I was told on another forum there was no options, although reading through some material it looks like it is possible, plus a user here said it is. Anyone have any direction from here?

Comment

Normally the caretaker status of a B1 or B2 is obtained abroad if the applicant is already working for a diplomat or international company businessman. I received an opinion from an immigration attorney in Arizona a couple of years ago on another forum. I will try to pull up his information and citation next couple of days and post or send to you by PM.

--RayB

Originally posted by Batt1eRatt1e View Post
          I know this forum doesn't have as many users as this other one, but put simply I was told on another forum there was no options, although reading through some material it looks like it is possible, plus a user here said it is. Anyone have any direction from here?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X