Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-9 date and the Port of Entry Date

Hi,

I entered United States recently but my offer letter is having my date of employment starting 1 month from the date I entered United States. While filling the I-9 form I should be entering the Date of Employment as the actual employment start date which is present in my offer letter. Would that in any way cause a problem in future for extension of H1B visa or applying for green card because there is a 1 month gap in between the Port of Entry date and the I-9 employment Start date?

Example -

Port of Entry - August 24th
    Offer Letter employment start date - Sept 23rd
    I-9 employment date - Sept 23rd.

Would the 1 month period of stay between August 24th and Sept 23rd be valid or will I be asked questions on what I was doing without employment and with a H1 status in the US?

Please provide inputs.

Thanks,
    Kalyan

Originally posted by klynvemuri View Post
    Hi,

I entered United States recently but my offer letter is having my date of employment starting 1 month from the date I entered United States. While filling the I-9 form I should be entering the Date of Employment as the actual employment start date which is present in my offer letter. Would that in any way cause a problem in future for extension of H1B visa or applying for green card because there is a 1 month gap in between the Port of Entry date and the I-9 employment Start date?

Example -

Port of Entry - August 24th
    Offer Letter employment start date - Sept 23rd
    I-9 employment date - Sept 23rd.

Would the 1 month period of stay between August 24th and Sept 23rd be valid or will I be asked questions on what I was doing without employment and with a H1 status in the US?

Please provide inputs.

Thanks,
    Kalyan
    Why did you enter 1 Month earlier? If you are not getting paid for the duration Aug 24 - Sep 23rd you were technically out of status.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X