Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 expiring, H1 CoS pending, cap exempt

Hi,
    I was H1B for 2.5 year and then changed to H4. H4 is expiring at Dec end. I have H1B COS filed again and is pending (cap exempt as I was already on h1b for a while and used only 2.5 years).
    1. Can I legally stay while H1B COS is pending but H4 has expired?
    2. How many days can I stay if H1B COS gets denied and my H4 has already expired by then?
    3. How many days grace I would have to file H4 extension after h1 is denied?

Thanks for your advice.

Originally posted by penguin80 View Post
    Hi,
    I was H1B for 2.5 year and then changed to H4. H4 is expiring at Dec end. I have H1B COS filed again and is pending (cap exempt as I was already on h1b for a while and used only 2.5 years).
    1. Can I legally stay while H1B COS is pending but H4 has expired?
    2. How many days can I stay if H1B COS gets denied and my H4 has already expired by then?
    3. How many days grace I would have to file H4 extension after h1 is denied?

Thanks for your advice.
    Assuming your H4 I-94 is expiring along with the H4 visa.
    1. I wouldnt say "legally" but yes you can stay upto 240 Days or till COS decision comes(if it comes as a denial), from the time I-94 has expired.
    2. Technically zero days if yoru H4 I-94 has already expired.
    3. If I-94 expires you cannot file extension request.

So if your I-94 has expired then the only way for you to continuously stay in US is to get your H1 approved as a COS. Otherwise you would have to leave US and re enter US with a new visa.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X