Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country of Residence

Hi All,

This might sound a little stupid but I am required to fill in 2 fields, "Nationality" and "Country/City of Residence" in a couple of forms. I am a citizen of india and of course an indian passport. I recently got my H1B visa approved. I was on F-1 visa for the last 5 yrs and was living in the USA. Currently I am visiting India for a month and will return to USA in Feb 2014. What is my "Country of Residence" ?? Does it mean my current residence or the residence where I can live without any restrictions or something. I am not sure. Any help here is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

"Nationality" is the country in which you were born.

"Country of residence" is the country in which you currently reside.

But when filloing out forms, i.e., new immigration-related status, the context of the question must be considered, in which case your "country of residence" may very well be where you are "from."

--Ray B

Originally posted by vap2014 View Post
    Hi All,

This might sound a little stupid but I am required to fill in 2 fields, "Nationality" and "Country/City of Residence" in a couple of forms. I am a citizen of india and of course an indian passport. I recently got my H1B visa approved. I was on F-1 visa for the last 5 yrs and was living in the USA. Currently I am visiting India for a month and will return to USA in Feb 2014. What is my "Country of Residence" ?? Does it mean my current residence or the residence where I can live without any restrictions or something. I am not sure. Any help here is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Country of Residence

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      "Nationality" is the country in which you were born.

"Country of residence" is the country in which you currently reside.

But when filloing out forms, i.e., new immigration-related status, the context of the question must be considered, in which case your "country of residence" may very well be where you are "from."

--Ray B
      Thanks for your reply. I understand the "Nationality" part, but I wanna be sure about the "Country of Residence". The form is nothing but an airline form by which I am travelling to the USA in feb, from India. This form requires some passenger info, and hence these 2 fields. Now you mentioned country of residence being your "current" location, but I am still not sure as to what you mean? At this moment while filing out the form online, I am in India, but is that what it really means? I was in USA for the last 5 yrs, and am here for a few weeks only.

Comment

For an airline form, you are being asked where you currently "live."

--Ray B

Originally posted by vap2014 View Post
        Thanks for your reply. I understand the "Nationality" part, but I wanna be sure about the "Country of Residence". The form is nothing but an airline form by which I am travelling to the USA in feb, from India. This form requires some passenger info, and hence these 2 fields. Now you mentioned country of residence being your "current" location, but I am still not sure as to what you mean? At this moment while filing out the form online, I am in India, but is that what it really means? I was in USA for the last 5 yrs, and am here for a few weeks only.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X